Active Topics

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
I know I'm probably going to take flak pretty hard for asking this, both from trolls and from troll-hunters, but this is a genuine and serious question. I need to know. I want to understand what will cause people to part with their cash to acquire WP7 phones (and in particular the forthcoming Nokia WP7 Mango devices). If Mango/Sea Ray is so good that it's worth burying MeeGo/N9 for, I must have missed something.

So...

What makes people want to buy WP7 devices? What are the unique selling points of WP7 (including Mango which people keep telling me is so amazing)?

Please remember that a unique selling point is a feature or ability not delivered by any other OS. Therefore "it syncs with Exchange" or whatever is not a USP.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
You should just PM Ericsson.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
The ecosystem obviously.
It's so easy. Just look WinCE/WP7-sells or Nokia's share price development. MS ecosystem rulez :P

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
people want those? I remember seeing a statistic quite recently showing that bada sells more than wp7...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
some have argued that having MS behind it will make it succesful, but the Microsoft highway is littered with the remnants of their previous failures.

I guess, the enterprise capabilities (beyond exchange support) may provide interest for some elements, and obviously the x-box live element provides a selling point for those who actually use their smartphoones as nothing more than a glorified portable gaming device.

Other than that, the UI appears bland and unappealing to me and doesn't lend itself, at first glance and use (IMO) to intuitive operation or ease of "at a glance" functionality.

answer then? I have no f##ken idea what is appealing about it..........

I think many .NET fans/developers will want to develop for WP7, because it's so easy to port their applications to it.
For the end user, I have no idea. I do not like an animated tiles desktop. Too cluttered, and at the same time too empty (you can have only a few applications visible at once, rather than tens of smaller icons).

The Following User Says Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Look, below I listed all the things that make WP7 attractive to me:

As you can see above, there are good reasons to find WP7 attractive.

[/sarcasm]

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
people dont wan't wp7.

the only guys i seen posting that like it, have profiles promoting microsoft products on twitter.

so like paid marketing trolls.

xbox live integration is useless since there no portable gaming support.

and peopleprobably gotta get PSvita to play on the go call of duty on
4G

Last edited by jo21; 2011-08-18 at 23:26.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Damn. You've beaten me to it.

(...)

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to that particular release at all. I'm afraid most here, ericsson aside, are not, as well.

I imagine the OP will be hard pressed to find people who actually interested in that OS. Most here will be caught wondering why would anyone buy that rather than give him an answer, lol.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
ha ha. I want the N9, and will get it as soon as it is available.

But I will also get a WP-Nokia later on.