Originally Posted by hackfanatic View Post
i really cant wait for it to be out!..
meego partial or full will turn this phone into a legend..
at the risk of urinating on your bonfire so to speak, how do you know meego will turn this phone into a legend? as no one knows what meego is like, it could be the biggest pile of crap ever for all we know. why speculate about something we have no conclusive idea what it's about

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
Ok, if you really need look to this post by Quim: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=17

And please wait for PR1.2 it will be a better choice at this time.

The Following User Says Thank You to kdrozd For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
PR1.3 is what want! You do not want to wait for MeeGo 1.1, the release coming has nothing to do with a daily working environment (not 1.0 more like 0.1alpha). Its the first core source release and this still in development (alpha).

N900 is hardware reference, that means that the core will run on it for development. Maybe it will get to a point where all, core and programs for step 5/5 work out but that still does not mean that it will be implemented for it.

The first few MeeGo releases you will see have an alpha or a beta state and wont be very handy for N900's daily use.

PR1.2 will be out pretty soon I guess as the SDK got upgraded 3 days ago (correct me if I am wrong but I read somewhere that it was 22nd, didnt upgrade yet as I am stuck with coding)

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Everything I have read implies we will NOT get Meego, as Meego ultimately will be designed around functionality the N900 simply cannot provide (eg multi-touch).

As said above, just because Meego is currently being developed on N900 hardware does not mean that the final "usable" version will still do so. Its a convenient platform to develop on for now but once they get going I am sure they will build more suitable prototypes that support the features Meego will have that the N900 cannot support. For a start I very much expect Meego hardware to have at least 512MB for root making it immediately incompatible with the N900 without a lot of hackery. Now before you ask why the N900 couldn't do that, it simply was not available at the time. Nokia use third-party chip designs because its super expensive to design your own, and 256MB was all you could get.

What we know for sure we WILL get (or at least has been promised) is a certain amount of "Meego compatibility" on the N900. The start of this comes in PR 1.2 in the form of Qt4.6 I believe, so that people can start writing applications for the N900 that will be compatible with Meego. Very optimistic perhaps seeing as how can you write compatibility with something which is not finalised yet, what about those things you just need to use Hildon for, will some of the DBUS calls change? There are still a lot of questions I feel.

Love it or not (and I do), there are plenty of things broken in Maemo 5. It would not have been a good move for Nokia to just drop it now leaving all the missing functionality and bugs. I do not mean portrait mode or voice guidance, I'm not holding my breath on those coming, its silly things like the missing "delete from playlist" option in media player, or bluetooth and WiFi still interfering with each other, those really need to get fixed for anyone to have faith on their next device. For a start, if the first Meego device has no keyboard I won't be buying it and regardless, I have at least another 12 months before I would be thinking of replacing the N900.

As for Meego itself, we do not know exactly how different from Maemo it will be. Some of us might actually be annoyed if they pushed out Meego as "the only firmware update for the N900" and it completely changed how things worked and totally broke compatibility with existing software. People talk as if Maemo 5 is complete garbage and they want rid ASAP, that is far from true. Its more little things that need fixing and they can be fixed today, not in 6 months time. I certainly do not want to wait 6 months to get the "delete from playlist" option on my N900, I would rather have that now thanks.

Also I for one hate the idea of a pannable desktop as its quite similar to how Windows Phone 7 works and from the little playing I did in the emulator, I don't like it. Its too tempting to let things spill over onto more than one page rather than coming up with a good design to make it all fit properly. Scrolling should always be minimised wherever possible, the current desktops works quite well as I just group different activities on their own desktop, would be overly complicated if you had up and down ones too or one big desktop.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-03-25 at 11:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
Ok, if you really need look to this post by Quim: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=17

And please wait for PR1.2 it will be a better choice at this time.
Indeed. We still got easily 1/2 a year before we hear anything final about Harmattan/MeeGo so i rather take the PR1.2 than not get anything in that time. Even if Harmattan/MeeGo would be Nokia supported for N900 in the end.

Key is that we got Qt 4.6 already.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Guys, you missed the /end thread command in post #7.

Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
How about we stop responding to this uninformed bullsh*t. Just stop.

Originally Posted by Barts View Post
as no one knows what meego is like, it could be the biggest pile of crap ever for all we know. why speculate about something we have no conclusive idea what it's about
His/her speculation is more likely than your worst case. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the sun will rise tomorrow. Are you gonna berate me for speculating? Or would I have to apologize for pissing on your pissing?

Originally Posted by adam123 View Post
As the title says i thought the general view was that we will get meego, why are bothering with pr1.2 shouldnt nokia be using that time to develop meego faster?
This post is a perfect example of the mis-information spread through the community.

apologises as i seem to of upset alot of you, but to get that high rate over (as you put it) a mis-informed post is rather childish. Just calm down, point me in right direction and move on

The Following User Says Thank You to adam123 For This Useful Post:
Everything I have read implies we will NOT get Meego, as Meego ultimately will be designed around functionality the N900 simply cannot provide (eg multi-touch).
Yeah thats not so much true. Multi touch is possible on the N900 (and previous maemo devices) and in fact there are several videos showing POC demos. The support for multi touch however has been waiting on the new Qt platform (4.6 +) and should be entirely possible with Meego even on the N900.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Last edited by Bratag; 2010-03-25 at 13:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:

Tags
professional talk