Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Remote User
Hitachi had contracted for handwriting recognition with at least 3 different companies that I'm aware of. We don't do anything with HWR at ViewTouch but we did try Xscribble just to see what it looked like; it installed and worked without any difficulty. I prefer to think of it as Hand Printing Recognition. As far as how it works in real life I can't say but it's a project that any of us can join and contribute to. Perhaps the 770 will add impetus to it. It's here...
http://www.handhelds.org/projects/xscribble.html
I have no doubt that if the need exists for a quality input method then Xscribble is a good choice to begin and to build on.

I've been fascinated with touchscreens for a long time but I also think that voice commands and voice recognition have to be used to further enrich our user input experiences. The way I'd do it is to have the remote X link established, use the 770 as a network-attached microphone, do the command and recognition processing with a specialized voice processing application cluster somewhere on the net, and just send an acknowledgment of the processed result back to the remote 770's speaker & display. The TI chips in the 770 are designed to do stuff like this, of course. We're not yet thinking of the 770 as a device for voice but that will certainly change. The 770 already exceeds most of what Captain Kirk was doing on the Enterprise with his communicator.

Reggie; is there a way to push a conversation like this to the proper forum when it gets off topic?
I am a huge sucker for HWR, ever since I bought my first Newton on eBay. When I moved on, I discovered that the cursive HWR engine on the Newton was available for the pc (PhatWare's PenOffice) but for Windows only. It works so well that I hardly ever use a keyboard on my Fujitsu Stylistic.

Nevertheless, for me Linux is a much more capable OS than whatever version of Windows, but as long as I cannot get decent HWR for Linux Windows has to stay.

Xscribble is a decent character recognizer, but like all Graffiti lookalikes it is not really fit for more than the occasional text entry. There is also Xstroke, a similar project (http://www.xstroke.org/) but on its mailing list someone (Arne Limburg) recently disclosed his intention to convert it to a full-blown HWR engine.

I tried voice recognition several years ago on IBM's OS/2 Warp 4 and although it worked suprisingly well, it turned out to be not as user friendly as it seemed: only in a nearly completely silent environment would it work as promised.