Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
Could this be the reason: http://www.gsmarena.com/ubunturunnin...-news-7536.php?
It's looking really BIG and cool. Let's hope it's true. Question: how is the brand. never seen a device from Meizu

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
I don't have any experience with the brand either but the device looks good. I checked the specs of the Android MX3 and it has an Exynos 5. I doubt that the Ubuntu version will be using the same chipset.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, phonearena says MX3 may come to US in 3rd quarter. Could the Ubuntu phone and MX3 for US be the same? Hmmmm, A little before the Note 4 would arrive. Perhaps a tough decision lies ahead....

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Meizu...ndroid_id51294

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Question: how is the brand. never seen a device from Meizu
The MX3 has quality components like the octa core Samsung processor, Sony battery, etc... If you look at aliexpress or pandawill you'll see Meizu are rather more expensive than other Chinese brands.

In China queues form whenever a new Meizu is released.

I've never seen a Meizu in the flesh but I think it's regarded as the prestige brand in China.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Close to you
Agree with vetsin, dont see Ubuntu Touch running in any chipset different than Qualcomm ones at the moment ( Bear in mind the whole development has been done mostly on the Nexus 4).

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
The MX3 has quality components like the octa core Samsung processor, Sony battery, etc... If you look at aliexpress or pandawill you'll see Meizu are rather more expensive than other Chinese brands.

In China queues form whenever a new Meizu is released.

I've never seen a Meizu in the flesh but I think it's regarded as the prestige brand in China.
Sounds good. A spec like that would give ubuntu great sale. If they could incorporate this with convergence it would be a killer package. Too bad it's just a rumor.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by igguk1 View Post
Agree with vetsin, dont see Ubuntu Touch running in any chipset different than Qualcomm ones at the moment
From the Ubuntu website:

"Ubuntu has already been adapted to run on chipsets using ARM and Intel x86 architectures, with the core system based around a typical Android Board Support Package (BSP).
..//..
In short, if you already make handsets that run Android, the work needed to adopt Ubuntu for smartphones will be trivial."

I think it would be a bit of a PR disaster for Canonical if their first flagship device was an existing Android handset that had its specs reduced because Ubuntu couldn't cope. Any positive reviews would be drowned out by the crowing of Android fanboys.

Sounds good. A spec like that would give ubuntu great sale. If they could incorporate this with convergence it would be a killer package.
Count me in, I want it now.

Too bad it's just a rumor.
Yeah, Jono Bacon's been quoted as saying it's going to be 2015 before we can expect anything now.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Yeah, Jono Bacon's been quoted as saying it's going to be 2015 before we can expect anything now.
The devil's always in the details and those frequently are a matter of interpretation, here's mine: Jono was guessing that no major OEM / carrier would produce a Ubuntu Touch phone until 2015 at the least but that allows that minor OEMS might release such a phone this year.

OMGUbuntu emphasises the word major but that distinction got lost on some of the other sites.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Yes but will it run linux distro...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/15/m...xpc-indiegogo/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013