Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Toronto, Canada
Well, my dream of replacing my laptop with an N770 & Nokia keyboard has been burst...

The constant timing out makes the setup useless for me . I'm in a situation where I'm watching a show and need to make some notes every couple of minutes -- but every time I go to type something on the keyboard the connection has been lost. By the time I reboot the keyboard and reconnect it to the tablet I've forgotten what I was going to write!

The Bluetooth driver is the one I downloaded directly from the built-in app manager. I don't suppose anybody knows of another version or hack I can use to prolong the keyboard's time out?

The Following User Says Thank You to acurrie For This Useful Post:
Fear not, there is a way around this. I needed to use a usb barcode reader on some N770s for a project at work.

There are two problems.

First, the screen times out as keypresses whether usb or bluetooth don't count as activity:

===================================

# timeout-options-extend - adds longer timeouts to menu options

gconftool-2 --type "list" --list-type "int" --set "/system/osso/dsm/display/possible_display_dim_timeouts" "[10,30,60,120,300,3600,36000]"

gconftool-2 --type "list" --list-type "int"
--set "/system/osso/dsm/display/possible_display_blank_timeouts" "[10,30,60,120,300,3600,36000]"

# timeout-lengthen - make timeouts very long

gconftool-2 --type "int" --set "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_dim_timeout" 36000

gconftool-2 --type "int" --set "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_blank_timeout" 36000

# timeout-shorten - reduce timeouts back to normal

gconftool-2 --type "int" --set "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_dim_timeout" 60

gconftool-2 --type "int" --set "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_blank_timeout" 120

Second: the virtual keyboard pops up on Return instead of entering the line:

# disablevkbd - prevent virtual kbd popping up
xmodmap -e 'keycode 36 = KP_Enter'
maemo-gtk-im-switch xim

# enable-vkbd - makevkbd pop up again
xmodmap -e 'keycode 36 = 0xff0d'
maemo-gtk-im-switch osso-input-method

Cut and paste these into scripts. If it isn't clear, the lines beginning gconftool are single lines and have been wrapped by the forum.

I found these answers after a fair amount of googling - but from others' posts, the sources for which I have subsequently lost, alas. Anyway, I'm not the original author(s), I'm just combining the results. These could still do with a nice front end, or being integrated into the launcher.