Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Why do you think the battery life is directly proportional to battery mAh capacity, especially when we are comparing two completely different hardware???
Well the n810 was not a phone with 3g and 3G consumes significant power. Add to that tne dual flash, 5 mpx camera, fm transmitter, vibrator. All of them consume significant power.

Anyway those batteries are pretty cheap and most will have a spare one. If only they include a temporary small battery inbuilt which will enable us to swap batteries.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
If only they include a temporary small battery inbuilt which will enable us to swap batteries.
Has Nokia ever done this before (or any mobile phone manufacturer)?

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
Has Nokia ever done this before (or any mobile phone manufacturer)?
Dunno about Nokia, but it certainly was one of my most favorite features of Apple's PPC laptops.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it won't have the ability to swap battery's...the battery size is probably a way for nokia to have made the device cheaper (as is the screen size) and adding the ability to swap batteries would add to the cost.

If you're going to introduce a new device class with a new operating system that no one has ever heard of, you're going to have to avoid cost from further inhibiting potential users. Or, you could choose to blow away the competition with the specs to justify the price and the risk of the new platform, but by the time this gets released it won't be anything extraordinary with regard to the specs so this obviously isn't their plan.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-08-10 at 03:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abject View Post
Uh-oh. This thing's BL-5J battery is 1320 mAh. N810's BP-4L is 1500 mAh.
If I may play devil's advocate, the capacity is not necessarily cast in stone. For example, the "BP-5L" in the 7710 and 9500 was a 1300mAh battery but was bumped to 1500mAh for the 770 (and later N800).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by lma View Post
If I may play devil's advocate, the capacity is not necessarily cast in stone. For example, the "BP-5L" in the 7710 and 9500 was a 1300mAh battery but was bumped to 1500mAh for the 770 (and later N800).
I dont think that is a possibility since the 5800 uses the same battery and if they bump it up later there will be confusion if they call it with the same name.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
I dont think that is a possibility since the 5800 uses the same battery and if they bump it up later there will be confusion if they call it with the same name.
Uhm... I just said that they have done exactly that in the past.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This actually happens more than you'd think. The aforementioned change was one example.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
In terms of battery life, the N97 *acts* like most of Nokia's E-Series devices in terms of battery life. I've not seen *any* N-Series device last as long as it does. Its literally in a class of its own in that respect.

If the N900/Rover is engineered with the same "E-Series battery standards" then most of you won't be complaining long at all; and except for those of you who reboot your devices every hour for the heck of it, you will probably be very happy.

Seriously folks, throw away your previous impressions of the platform - this isn't a Maemo 4 device, this isn't a current Symbian device. Its different. Different is good; it will reset expectations.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
In terms of battery life, the N97 *acts* like most of Nokia's E-Series devices in terms of battery life. I've not seen *any* N-Series device last as long as it does. Its literally in a class of its own in that respect.

If the N900/Rover is engineered with the same "E-Series battery standards" then most of you won't be complaining long at all; and except for those of you who reboot your devices every hour for the heck of it, you will probably be very happy.

Seriously folks, throw away your previous impressions of the platform - this isn't a Maemo 4 device, this isn't a current Symbian device. Its different. Different is good; it will reset expectations.
I hope so. Because from what Nokia has done with Maemo 4, it's soured me on them. Great hardware, great software and support from the community. But official support? Not so much. Out of all the devices it's the Nokia devices, then Android, then Pre that suit me but the latter two haven't matured enough yet. The Nokia devices at least have the benefit of running Linux so a port or another operating environment can be done. Alot of the software I use is multiplatform, so something like rsync or Unison can easily sync what I need.

I'll be looking to see how Nokia supports the device before I decide on buying it. Or switching to a competitor (though I'll be keeping my n800, and once Mer improves I'll install that. )

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, nokia, pictures, rx-51, specification