Notices

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Looks like the N900 might eventually get the ability to play N64 games using the Mupen64 emulator compiled for ARM. Apparently, the big hold up at the moment is a lack of OpenGL ES drivers:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php...ost__p__751625

Unless I'm mistaken, this should work on the N900, and possibly even the N8x0 (I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this would probably be unusably slow).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Unless there will be real 3D support on N8x0 (and we all know the story about that), then Mupen64 would have to run with GL-emulation through Mesa, as the current Mupen64 port for Beagleboard (the one which that link points to). It's not fast, and Beagleboard has a faster CPU than our good old N8x0 NITs.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire, USA
But seriously, who cares? N64 is the most useless platform you could possibly emulate. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge emulation fan, and N64 is still my favorite console that I've ever owned. But it can't be played without the real N64 controller. I have not found a single (good) N64 game that maps well to any other controller. I'd love to be wrong about this. There are some truly great games for the 64. If you know a good way to make it work, let me know.

BTW 4 player Bomberman64 FTW!

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
But seriously, who cares? N64 is the most useless platform you could possibly emulate. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge emulation fan, and N64 is still my favorite console that I've ever owned. But it can't be played without the real N64 controller. I have not found a single (good) N64 game that maps well to any other controller. I'd love to be wrong about this. There are some truly great games for the 64. If you know a good way to make it work, let me know.

BTW 4 player Bomberman64 FTW!
When I read the first sentence, I was going to FLAME you hard. But, I get what you're saying and you're right.

But, oh, to have Tetrisphere on my N900... I would be out for days.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Yeah, sorry about that. It came off as way more trollish than I meant it. It frustrates me that the 64 will go down in history as an also-ran because the console itself was a turd of a machine, and the controller was so unique that it can't be easily remapped. Seriously, how awesome were Turok and Golden Eye on that controller? And oh! Perfect Dark, we hardly knew ye...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pokey For This Useful Post:
Eh, it can be decently played with a dual shock like controller on the PC. But yeah.. it's not perfect.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
It may not be the same, but I wonder if using the N900's gyro sensors might make it just as usable and enjoyable.

I mean seriously: Your friends are touting their big name phones and you walk up playing Goldeneye on yours...how kickin' would that be?

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-09-11 at 04:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
OK I'm in. Which carrier will get the N9 in usa?

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
It may not be the same, but I wonder if using the N900's gyro sensors might make it just as usable and enjoyable.

I mean seriously: Your friends are touting their big name phones and you walk up playing Goldeneye on yours...how kickin' would that be?
It's possible. But the whole thing about gyros in an iPhone/n900 like device versus say the Wii is that with the iPhone/n900 you actually have to move it, thus taking your view or head with it (depending on sensitivity). While with the Wii, you can move the gyro all you like, but your TV is sitting in one place.

But yes, it'd be awesome if we could play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark on the n900. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
But yes, it'd be awesome if we could play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark on the n900. =P
Both of them being two of the most demanding games for the N64... well.