Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by dont View Post
True, but I find that most of the time I use 150% magnification on my 770 and I suspect that with a physically bigger screen this might not be necessary.

If you go through the achingly slow Flash demo at:
http://eeepc.asus.com/en/guide.htm
and choose 'work' then you will see EE using openoffice complete with toolbars. On my monitor it shows in an approx. 7" diagonal window. I think I can live with that on the road - especially as I can plug in a bigger monitor at home.

Here is another detailed review:

http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Excl...Eee-PC-701.htm
Yes, that's a pretty awful Flash demo. I particularly enjoyed the messily looped guitar music

But it was interesting because I realised the Eee is a Linux computer. It's Linux as we know it on the desktop, complete with imperfections and annoyances.

In contrast, Linux on the N tablets is a new operating system (just like OS X is effectively BSD, but is its own operating system). If I hadn't been told that the N tablets run Linux, I wouldn't be aware. OS2006/7/8 has been tailored for mobile Internet use and the general user, whereas this can't be said of the Eee.

So the N series wins on this score, if nothing else.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by rs-px View Post
But it was interesting because I realised the Eee is a Linux computer. It's Linux as we know it on the desktop, complete with imperfections and annoyances.

In contrast, Linux on the N tablets is a new operating system (just like OS X is effectively BSD, but is its own operating system). If I hadn't been told that the N tablets run Linux, I wouldn't be aware. OS2006/7/8 has been tailored for mobile Internet use and the general user, whereas this can't be said of the Eee.

So the N series wins on this score, if nothing else.
Hmmm... not sure I am with you on this one. Being a new OS means that existing apps have to be ported. And I could argue that Nokia have two incompatible family of OS's OS2005/6 and OS2007/8.

Anyway, I guess you won't want Ubuntu on an EEE either:
http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

Hmmm... not sure I am with you on this one. Being a new OS means that existing apps have to be ported. And I could argue that Nokia have two incompatible family of OS's OS2005/6 and OS2007/8.

Anyway, I guess you won't want Ubuntu on an EEE either:
http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm
My point is that some people are scared of Linux. Nokia managed to produce a non-Linux version of Linux. With OS2008, it sounds like they've moved even further away from traditional Linux desktops.

I still find it surprising and not entirely accurate when I read that the N tablets run a "distro of Linux". Technically this is true, but it's not practically true. I guess we're back to the age-old debate about whether the operating system should be called Linux, or just the kernel. I've always believed the latter is the case but went with the former simply because everybody else did

Incidentally, look how small the Eee is in Rupert Goodwins' hands. He's a big fella (I used to work with him) but that's definitely a small computer.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
My point is that some people are scared of Linux. Nokia managed to produce a non-Linux version of Linux. With OS2008, it sounds like they've moved even further away from traditional Linux desktops.

I still find it surprising and not entirely accurate when I read that the N tablets run a "distro of Linux". Technically this is true, but it's not practically true.
The ITs run almost vanilla Debian, with Nokia's own window manager on top. I don't see how more "practical" you wanna get.

I suspect that many folks who bought a 770 or n800 bought it partly because it was a Linux tablet. I don't think Nokia has yet figured out a way to sell these tablets as, well simple IT tablets for consumer use.

I am curious about what they are going to do about the n810. Right now in-car GPS units are selling like crazy for about the same money as the n810. I am sure the price will come down, but they look like this year's Christmas present for Dads. A friend just bought a Garmin unit and is very happy with it. I showed him my 770 which he liked but would not buy just as an Internet Tablet - even for $150.00. I asked him that if it was sold primarily as a GPS unit that could also double as an IT , read email, play movies, etc... Would he have bought it for $400-500? Yes, in a heartbeat. Then he looked sad when he realized that he had already bought a GPS unit. Then he asked if the n810 could make phone calls ...

Anyway, back to the EEE. All of the screen shots that I have seen show about 1" of black frame around the actual display. I wonder why?

I think that ASUS could fit a much larger display into the same form factor. I read somewhere that a version 2 will be out next year that will be based on a Merom chip. A bigger display would be real nice too. Put a swiveling tablet display on it with a touchscreen, and... No never mind.

Anyway, back to the EEE. All of the screen shots that I have seen show about 1" of black frame around the actual display. I wonder why?

I think that ASUS could fit a much larger display into the same form factor.

Man, I gotta stop playing on this innertube thingy.

Anyway, there are some nice videos here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=182147

Which show, among many things:

There is space for a bigger screen in the form factor - maybe 9"?

You can hook up a 1280 x 1024 external monitor.

It plays Youtube with no problem.

It has built-in simple voice recog. and response.

You can plug in an iPod and have it recognized by the EEE and play iPod playlists on the EEE.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
1. Because the screen is 7.1", but the case is bigger.

2. The speakers are left and right of the screen.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
1. Because the screen is 7.1", but the case is bigger.

2. The speakers are left and right of the screen.
You can also buy a model with a higher resolution display that is larger and fills-out more of the bezel. Something like 1280x800 resolution, IIRC. It's only the base model that comes with the mini screen.

You can also buy a model with a higher resolution display that is larger and fills-out more of the bezel. Something like 1280x800 resolution, IIRC. It's only the base model that comes with the mini screen.
No, you can't. Asus claims it might bring out such a model, but given how many times they changed the specs on the original Eee, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Incidentally, look how small the Eee is in Rupert Goodwins' hands. He's a big fella (I used to work with him) but that's definitely a small computer.
It's so tiny!

That picture also shows how impractical it can be running a full OS on such a small screen.

The Tablet OS is made for a small screen. I know the OS Asus is shipping with is NOT Ubuntu. Is their OS more tailored for the small screen?

I always hated going back to an older laptop w/ lower resolution (I used to buy "broken" lappys and fix them up for re-sale w/ Linux installed) even for a day or two. Makes me feel like some part of me is out of proportion and uncomfortable.