Active Topics

Anyone else having any wired headset compatibility problems?

I have a pair of Sony Earbuds with an inline mic/volume button, and the phone either won't recognize it at all, or pipe through a bunch of ticking noise (with a bit of music). Very annoying.

So with that, anyone know of a fix (perhaps at the kernel level, pulseaudio, or something of the like) aside from a cable change.

And, anyone else running into problems?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Works fine with a pair of Pioneer IEMs I have, as well as the bundled headphones. I also used the IEM that was bundled with the Nokia N97 Mini with no issues.

I'm guessing the issue is more with the N9 not talking the right language to the Mic/Volume portion of your Sony earbuds... similar to how the N97 bundled IEM with play/pause/mic/volume sound like tins when used on my Macbook Pro.

On my Macbook Pro, the "solution" (if you can call it that) is to not insert the stereo jack 100% into the socket... although you probably won't want to do this all the time :P

Yeah...It's protocol. Mine is a 'Made for iPhone' device. I thought Nokia switched to that pin layout at the N900.

You can get unpredictable results using headphones made for one phone model on a different manufacturer's phone. Third party headphones like my Sennheiser works superbly with N9.

I just ran into this with my Phonak Audeo PFE 122 earphones with microphone. I can confirm that earphones with in-line microphones that are compatible with the iPhone will not work with the Nokia N9.

Those of you with standard earphones without in-line microphones and with standard TRS tips are probably okay. People who already own a headset with an in-line microphone and a TRRS tip might need to be more careful. (TRRS tips have an extra section; see the pictures at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector#Uses.)

Apparently, the iPhone expects headsets to be wired T-left, R-right, R-ground, S-microphone. (See the great illustration at http://geekspeak.org/blog/2008/08/12...e-headset-plug.) On the other hand, the Nokia N9 wants its ground and microphone in the other order — T-left, R-right, R-microphone, S-ground.

Hopefully, this means that those of us who already own headsets designed to be compatible with the iPhone will just need an adapter to switch the R and S wiring to use our headsets with the N9. I've ordered http://www.meelec.com/MEE_TRRS_Adapt...tr-trrs-35.htm, and I'll try to remember to post back whether this was successful after I get it.

Update 2012/5/29: Please see my updated adapter recommendation.

Last edited by EspeonEefi; 2012-05-30 at 02:14.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EspeonEefi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne
unfortunately my etymotic mc2 headset doesn't work with the n9, seems to work with about 4 other phone os's though

Cool, I'll try that for mic support. For the time being, I'm getting by with using just a stereo extension cord. It gets me audio just fine.

Originally Posted by EspeonEefi View Post
Hopefully, this means that those of us who already own headsets designed to be compatible with the iPhone will just need an adapter to switch the R and S wiring to use our headsets with the N9. I've ordered http://www.meelec.com/MEE_TRRS_Adapt...tr-trrs-35.htm, and I'll try to remember to post back whether this was successful after I get it.
This this arrived on Friday, and I'm happy to report that it works perfectly -- I have functioning audio playback in the earphones, recording from the microphone, and recognition of button presses to pause music playback and pick up calls.

My only concern is that the wire between the two ends of this adapter seems inordinately thin. Hopefully it will hold up in the long term...

Update 2012/5/29: Please see my updated adapter recommendation.

Last edited by EspeonEefi; 2012-05-30 at 02:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EspeonEefi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
You can get unpredictable results using headphones made for one phone model on a different manufacturer's phone. Third party headphones like my Sennheiser works superbly with N9.
Hi, i'm also looking for a compatible headset for the N9.
Could you please tell me which sennheiser headset you're using and if you could get play/stop/forward/answer, ... functions working with it?

Thanks

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Why is it that the old remote media controls (eg, from N95's included headset) are not working on the N900 and N9? Is there any workaround to this?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!