Poll: Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???
Poll Options
Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???

I don't really complain because I got it used, but I do think people who got it at top dollar when it was fresh do have a right to not be happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by whayong View Post
EXACTLY my point! NO ONE forced you or anyone else to buy the phone. No one shoved it down your throat. Did you not know what you were buying at the time???? It didn't have turn by turn voice navigation, and it didn't have Flash 10.1, and it didn't have MMS, etc..... So why are you expecting updates to correct these short comings?????? Did they some how say buy the N900 and we'll give you X, Y, and Z afterwards?
I bought my E71 for much less price and had the update for FREE voice turn by turn navigation

And yes, video calling works for 3G since PR1.2 (at the very least). Skype and Gtalk.
I am and everybody i know are so wealthy to make those video calls without using third party application like Skype and Gtalk it is my right to ask for such option specially when you find your handset doing much more sophosticated things and lack a basic?
for me it is like someone type so fast on a keyboard and he cannot write a word with a pen?!

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
EXACTLY my point! NO ONE forced you or anyone else to buy the phone. No one shoved it down your throat. Did you not know what you were buying at the time???? It didn't have turn by turn voice navigation, and it didn't have Flash 10.1, and it didn't have MMS, etc..... So why are you expecting updates to correct these short comings?????? Did they some how say buy the N900 and we'll give you X, Y, and Z afterwards?

And yes, video calling works for 3G since PR1.2 (at the very least). Skype and Gtalk.
what is so difficult for you people to understand about all this and why is it such a feggin argument???!!!

I think one can easily expect that a phone so capable should be preloaded with turn by turn gps. nokia is giving it away for its lesser phones so why is it so unreasonable to expect that we would at least have it on the n900? get a hold of yourself man!

The Following User Says Thank You to ddiscodave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Please be exact here. Skype and Google supporting video transmission is not "3G video calling". You can't dial somebody's regular cell phone number and select "video call" with that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
since this thread is full of bad analogies let me join.

mommy and daddy apple have some money saved. on xmas and bday's baby iphone gets some new pants and shoes. mommy and daddy android have a (well quite a few) babies and they do the same.

mommy and daddy nokia have a baby called the n900. he had lots of holes in his shoes and pants. occasionally his parents sow up his jeans and patch his shoes. yes he has pants and shoes but he grows up wondering why the other parents buy their kids new cloths while his are all full of stitches and patches.

see I told you it would be bad. point is people payed good money for the n900 and that is a bit like a hand shake. true nowhere in writing does it say you are entitled to this or that....but if you were a parent and you could buy your kid some new stuff, wouldn't you?

it is all about expectations and expectations are set in large part by what competition are providing for like priced goods. the "oh I was never explicitly promised anything" argument while technically correct is really pretty lame.

you payed $500 or more for a device and similar priced devices from the competition get all sorts of new features on a routine basis? and you expect people not to express disapointment? common now...
I want a pocket computer, N900 at $500 -- sounds pretty good to me, since it comes with cell phone, gps, webcam module and full multitasking. Are there any device made in 2009 that can do it well?

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 291 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London, UK
Well Personally, I feel PR 1.2 and PR 1.3 have their own pros and cons. I have noticed that PR 1.3 reproduced a problem I had in PR 1.1.1 like the chirping sounds when a call comes (its scary sometimes makin u feel like oh my answer fast or the speakers will tear up. lol Let me know if this is just me or anyone else facin this issue). The positive side is the RAM Management. PR 1.2 used to hog up the RAM and I needed constant 800 MHz overclockin to keep the phone stable but PR 1.3, without even overclockin, the phone is too smooth.

Overall, I have no complains however. N900 being open source and having so much potential already makes it the best possible phone for me... (Nokia however needs to be a lil more customer oriented... LoL)

the point is it is 2010 and devices from 2009 from other companies are still getting robust advancements in terms of updates/functionality. so if you think of the n900 as the baby and nokia as the parents, the parents have not been nearly as good to their baby as other parents have been to theirs.

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
what is so difficult for you people to understand about all this and why is it such a feggin argument???!!!

I think one can easily expect that a phone so capable should be preloaded with turn by turn gps. nokia is giving it away for its lesser phones so why is it so unreasonable to expect that we would at least have it on the n900? get a hold of yourself man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk#t=1m22s

Do not expect anything. Did I expect or got to my windows OS anything besides security and bug fixes after i bought it? No. Why on earth I would spend money to something that is not guaranteed? Because I feel lucky? *Maniacal laugh*

Get hold of yourself man!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk#t=1m22s

Do not expect anything. Did I expect or got to my windows OS anything besides security and bug fixes after i bought it? No. Why on earth I would spend money to something that is not guaranteed? Because I feel lucky? *Maniacal laugh*

Lol, love the video linked

Very nice and funny although i find it irrelevant, but thanks to make us laugh, it is really rare nowadays

Originally Posted by slender View Post

You accept, i Expect, it is personal difference that make some people stay still and others improve, and take over the market.

I am a doctor am no developer and also am not a marketing man, but i am sure that there is somewhere in those huge books teaching advanced marketing, part that is talking about meeting your clients expectations, what they need and what they want to have.
let me take the navigation as an example, if Nokia said it frankly that this N900 is impossible to have navigation on, i would shut up and know that this is technical issue that am no expert in.
but,
when Sygic can develop it and it is working (not free), AND Nokia provide for less advanced, cheaper, and non competing devices!!
excuse me
i find this strange

Tags
fanbois cry, harsh reality, head splitting, noob noise, qt and bugfixes, rraaggee!!!, shitter thread, waaaaahhh