Notices

can anyone direct me to the map where angrybirds keeps the save games?

I think its anoying that the save games are so deep in the system and are not in the backup. now when something goes wrong you loose everything if you dont know how to copy the saves.

Its strange that such a highend device doesn't keep saves on a central place. for example in the a map called savegames on the n900 memory so that they can easily be copied to a pc when you need to reflash.

The Following User Says Thank You to sygys For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
Its strange that such a highend device doesn't keep saves on a central place. for example in the a map called savegames on the n900 memory so that they can easily be copied to a pc when you need to reflash.
Why do you blame Nokia for that? It's the programmer's decision to put the files wherever they are. Even if there was a central place for "savegames" every programmer could use his own directories. Log files are already spread across the system even there is a central place for them in /var/log.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
/var/opt/rovio/angrybirds

The Following User Says Thank You to IINexusII For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Why do you blame Nokia for that? It's the programmer's decision to put the files wherever they are. Even if there was a central place for "savegames" every programmer could use his own directories. Log files are already spread across the system even there is a central place for them in /var/log.
I'm the one to blame about the placement, but not for the lack of backup. I didn't know where to place the files so I looked up the most authoritative reference I could find, in this case Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.3 (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).

Because the game is installed under /opt/ hierarchy, the standard dictates:

5.12. /var/opt : Variable data for /opt
Variable data of the packages in /opt must be installed in /var/opt/<subdir>, where <subdir> is the name
of the subtree in /opt where the static data from an add-on software package is stored

But for some reason this hierarchy clearly was left out from the backup process.

The Following User Says Thank You to Miika For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Miika View Post
I'm the one to blame about the placement, but not for the lack of backup. I didn't know where to place the files so I looked up the most authoritative reference I could find, in this case Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.3 (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).

Because the game is installed under /opt/ hierarchy, the standard dictates:

5.12. /var/opt : Variable data for /opt
Variable data of the packages in /opt must be installed in /var/opt/<subdir>, where <subdir> is the name
of the subtree in /opt where the static data from an add-on software package is stored
Correct way to do that! But even maemo itself doesn't follow the fhs in every place.
But for some reason this hierarchy clearly was left out from the backup process.
As far as I know you have to provide a backup command to the system backup software with your installation. Should be some easy-to-create textfile with folders or files to get backed up.

As far as I know you have to provide a backup command to the system backup software with your installation. Should be some easy-to-create textfile with folders or files to get backed up.
Do you have any reference for that? I'd be glad to add backup support to the next update but I haven't been able to find how to do it. I tried searching for it again but still found nothing.

Here you are: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...k-up_locations
Thanks! Strange that this didn't come up on my earlier search..