When a Nokia employee with moderator rights in this forum writes: "Repeated rants will be moved elsewhere." When all his post is a repeated rant that we heard a million times, and concludes with "and clean the many senseless arguments and noise we can read these days among valid and licit doubts and concerns", how is that not a plan for Nokia censoring what they do not want their users to hear?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
While it is true that Nokia hasn't communicated Harmattan or MeeGo official support plans for the N900, it is also true that all the FUD is not helping the average N900 user following Talk.
Action and reaction. If there were more transparency about the future of the N900, then there would be less FUD. No one wants to get stuck with a device that can't be officially upgraded to the next vendor-supported OS.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
(*sigh*)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
People need to understand that the phone medium is highly transient, especially in the current market place. If it does what you need today and for the foreseeable future just live with it. In 18-24 months the N900 will be long superseded and forgotten about.
While I agree with the general idea that complaining here is probably not very useful, I disagree with a few things you've said.

Some bugs might be fixed, but important ones that people usually expect to be working on any currently sold cell phone are not. Some examples: no way to format contacts,olny two profiles, no access to SIM menu, no Java (ME or SE), small rootfs, etc

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Why do people expect so much support from a phone manufacturer for a product that has already been out for a few months? The major bugs are now solved, and I can't see any reason why Nokia are going to invest any money in adding features.
I think this is the worst part. I don't expect so much support for a product that has already been out for a few months. I expect that the basic functions are all there and that they are all working. I don't mean running the full openoffice suite, but doing everything any cheap GSM cell phone does or is expected to do nowadays.

When those things don't work or are absent we complain about them. When the company doesn't even officially talk to us about them, we complain louder. When we see that many things "will be fixed only in Maemo6" it is obvious that we desperately want to know if and when maemo 6 will run in the current, somewhat lacking, N900, because it seems to be the only way to get the fixes.

When Nokia+Intel announced MeeGo it is just expected that the people who were waiting for those fixes get anxious because now the future has just got fuzzier. We might complain even louder.

To the question of not investing money, i think it is plain wrong. Not from a business case point of view, but from a moral point of view (which might or might not reflect in business). Nokia has sold a product that is good for doing some things but lacks in many expected areas. If it were fully open, they could have said: "here it is, here are the docs and good luck". But since many of its core is closed, thre is no way the community can fix things and we depend on them to fix things. They can't just pretend that the N900 is finished. It doesn't solve the problems.

I was really upset that while searching for workaround I realized that Nokia is still selling the N900 as a cellphone, while it should be sold as a beta internet device with some cellphone capabilities. I also understood, by talking to other members, that the phone stack was somewhat hacked together and so they wouldn't want to mess with it anymore.

Nokia should have an official page, in the official Nokia.com domain, where everything about the N900 is clearly spelled out. Roadmaps, hints, fixes, etc.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Moving posts to alternate threads is NOT censorship. It is forum management. You can still find your rants of choice all over this forum.

Back on topic please.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
OK, but what is the topic of this thread - solving the communications problems, or stopping people talking about them in inconvenient manners?
Described very clearly in the original post:

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
So what about a "What can we realistically expect..." wiki page + thread under N900 subforum to discuss and summarize the flesh around this topic, and clean the many senseless arguments and noise we can read these days among valid and licit doubts and concerns?
After reading that, why would anyone think there was even a remote suggestion to "stop people talking"?

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-03-01 at 17:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Now does everyone see why this needs to be managed?

If we can define one place where these type of comments can be made at least Nokia management may get a better understanding of us - thier customers.

It seems most threads seem to de-generate into this type of discussion and it's a real shame.

There is an awful lot of frustration and it's not doing any good.

In the end Nokia may ignore us completely because of this.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-03-01 at 17:01.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
soeiro - Thanks for the response.

I wasn't excusing the current state of affairs I was just stating them as I saw them. Please don't take what I said as anything more than opinion.

I feel that most of the time people as questions [rants] about features and don't first think "why would Nokia do this?". They're a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. I remember someone posted up a paper here a while ago with corporate strategies on how to use the OSS community to your advantage.

Nokia can't do the Apple route of locking in customers upfront and then making the real profits back through selling apps/music down the track. So instead they make the upfront money on the device (the business they know) and then look to reduce all future costs.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Now does everyone see why this needs to be managed?

If we can define one place where these type of comments can be made at least Nokia management may get a better understanding fo us - thier customer.

It seems most thread seem to de-generate into this type of discussion and it's a real shame.

There is an awful lot of frustration and it's not doing any good.

In the end Nokia may ignore us completely because of this.
The downside would be that it is hard to sort through large threads to distill real information from them. One big long complaint thread wouldn't show Nokia anything other than there are a lot/certain people who like to complain about a variety of topics.

Perhaps a FUD forum would work better, at a glance you could see which topics (based on thread titles/ replies) are hot topics?

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
The downside would be that it is hard to sort through large threads to distill real information from them. One big long complaint thread wouldn't show Nokia anything other than there are a lot/certain people who like to complain about a variety of topics.

Perhaps a FUD forum would work better, at a glance you could see which topics (based on thread titles/ replies) are hot topics?
This continues to veer from the original request, which wasn't for a "complaint thread" per se but rather a discussion and eventual summary. A brainstorm if you will.

I know that semantic pedanticism may seem foolish on the surface but making sure there's a general understanding of terms can significantly reduce the noise. So let's avoid tangents, straw men, etc.

Raw complaints tend to result in noise. Complaining with purpose, however, can avoid it.