Active Topics

No idea what happened to my N900, but the screen no longer powers all the way off anymore.

When I lock the screen with the side switch or wait for the backlight to timeout, the backlight still retains a very faint dim and does not completely turn off anymore.

I reflashed both the eMMC and rootfs with PR1.3 and this problem still exists. The only thing different I had done to the device prior to reflashing, was install black-plastic-theme, and had only had this problem afterwards.

Does anyone know what else I can try to get my brightness to adjust and to display to completely turn off again?

Thanks!

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Glad I got in here before Linux zealots sabotage the thread.

I had a similar issue but for me flashing it fixed the problem. My advice? Get rid of this piece of junk and move on. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
Glad I got in here before Linux zealots sabotage the thread.

I had a similar issue but for me flashing it fixed the problem.
I've flashed it 4x already to no avail.

Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
...My advice? Get rid of this piece of junk and move on. Sorry.
No idea who you are, but I saw that you posted a similar message yesterday that a moderator removed.

"My advice", stop wasting your time bashing the N900, I love it (so much that I have physically lost 2 other one's and still chose to buy a 3rd).

There isn't another phone on the market that offers development & customization options running Linux like this phone, and I had no issues like this with my 2 previous phones.

Originally Posted by techdork View Post
The only thing different I had done to the device prior to reflashing, was install black-plastic-theme, and had only had this problem afterwards.

Does anyone know what else I can try to get my brightness to adjust and to display to completely turn off again?

Thanks!
Have you tried removing the "black-plastic-theme" to see if this solves the problem?

Ah, you've reflashed too, apologies.

Is this a full FIASCO reflash? I'd be tempted to try turning the backlight off using the sysfs file to see if your faint glow goes away, though why such a problem would survive a complete reflash and home directory removal I really don't know.

Last edited by lardman; 2011-03-07 at 23:41.

I take it that you haven't been editing mce.ini?

Originally Posted by marktiz View Post
I take it that you haven't been editing mce.ini?
Nope, I've even diff'd my current one with a known pristine version and it's the same file.

Totally @ a loss here...

Thanks!

same problem here.
i don't know what happened
i would appreciate it if any1 could help.
thx

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
you can try my custom brightness, the simple first, see if this helps
Then my custom brightness since this will give full control of the screen brightness