Posts: 251 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Earth, Milky-way Galaxy
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
thanks a lot, I just added the link to your post to
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_f...ng_the_Flasher
thanx dude!! for adding it to wiki, good work

I think you don't need to worry if it will work or not on vmWare, Virtual PC etc etc. Try my suggestion first and its a 95% chance it will help you. If you have any problem just send a post here and I be happy to help you.

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I could not find it in Device Manager, despite everything seemingly working perfect.
Are you sure the "Press U thing" is working?

Option 1
  • Try uninstalling Flasher and all drivers that came with it and install everything again.
Option 2
  • If uninstall don't work you should check your registry at the location below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_0421&PID_0105

• If you find it, try deleting the key and all things under it as well. You might need to change the "Permissions.." on the key so "Everyone" have "Full Control" to "Allow" before you delete.

• Now go back and start from the beginning of my first instruction with a fresh install of Flasher etc.
Option 3
  • If the above key is not found you haven't successfully installed the orginal driver or the libusb-win32 driver.

• Search on "nokia" at the registry location below,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

• Delete all Keys and other thing you feel safe doing related with "nokia".

Worst case, you have to reinstall some drivers for other nokia devices you might have.
    Deleting in the registry is my last resort option for anyone and only recommended if you know what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

//Code

Last edited by codetracer; 2010-10-27 at 21:29.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by codetracer View Post
Are you sure the "Press U thing" is working?

Option 1
  • Try uninstalling Flasher and all drivers that came with it and install everything again.
Option 2
  • If uninstall don't work you should check your registry at the location below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_0421&PID_0105

• If you find it, try deleting the key and all things under it as well. You might need to change the "Permissions.." on the key so "Everyone" have "Full Control" to "Allow" before you delete.

• Now go back and start from the beginning of my first instruction with a fresh install of Flasher etc.
Option 3
  • If the above key is not found you haven't successfully installed the orginal driver or the libusb-win32 driver.

• Search on "nokia" at the registry location below,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

• Delete all Keys and other thing you feel safe doing related with "nokia".

Worst case, you have to reinstall some drivers for other nokia devices you might have.
    Deleting in the registry is my last resort option for anyone and only recommended if you know what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

//Code
It actually worked perfect for the Flash to 1.3. I just couldn't find it in device manager.

How to get N900 flasher to work in Windows 7 64-bit (x64).
  • Install Flasher 3.5 - http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php
  • Download libusb-win32-bin-1.2.2.0.zip - http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/
  • Press U while starting N900 and attach USB
  • Wait for the original driver to install.
  • Run inf-wizard.exe (bin folder in zip) - Run as Administrator
    1. Press "Next"
    2. Search in list and select "0x0421 - 0x0105 - Nokia N900 (Update Mode)"
    3. Press "Next"
    4. Press "Next"
    5. Save .inf file
    6. Press "Install Now"
    7. Press "Install this driver software anyway" on warning message.
    8. You should get "Installation successful." and press OK.
  • Check Windows Device Manager for "libusb-win32 devices", expand and verify "Nokia N900 (Update Mode)" can be found.
  • Now you are ready to run Flasher 3.5 with your parameters.
I have been trying to do this on my Win7 laptop on and off for some time... and was nearly there...mainly by trial and error...and an old XP machine which gave me the clue as to "libusb" by saying it needed it to run (something my XP laptop was quite happy without).

Ran as per your instructions on my Win7 and reflashed my N 900 first time...after many previous failures.

Thank you.

(Toshiba L650-12K system unit; Windows Home Premium; 64 bit OS; Intel Core i3 M300 2.13GHz; 3GB RAM)

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Another possibility to clean up your drivers is by using the \libusb-win32-bin-1.2.2.0\bin\amd64\install-filter-win.exe tool and "Remove a device filter", then delete the unneeded drivers.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ WA, USA
i was able to flash firmware and emmc on win7 64bit using xp mode... just make sure you "attach" your device to xpmode.

How to get N900 flasher to work in Windows 7 64-bit (x64).
  • Install Flasher 3.5 - http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php
  • Download libusb-win32-bin-1.2.2.0.zip - http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/
  • Press U while starting N900 and attach USB
  • Wait for the original driver to install.
  • Run inf-wizard.exe (bin folder in zip) - Run as Administrator
    1. Press "Next"
    2. Search in list and select "0x0421 - 0x0105 - Nokia N900 (Update Mode)"
    3. Press "Next"
    4. Press "Next"
    5. Save .inf file
    6. Press "Install Now"
    7. Press "Install this driver software anyway" on warning message.
    8. You should get "Installation successful." and press OK.
  • Check Windows Device Manager for "libusb-win32 devices", expand and verify "Nokia N900 (Update Mode)" can be found.
  • Now you are ready to run Flasher 3.5 with your parameters.
THANKYOU SIR!!! Absolute internet hero of the day, with your link I managed to fix my non booting N900, I am soooooooo thankful!!

Thanks. Worked perfectly on my Window 7 64bit laptop!! For those who want it all on one page, here it is:

Used to get 8GB Home and 20GB MyDoc EMMC flash.

For anyone who want to increase there Home directory or just unbrick there N900 on windows 64 bit, here's the instructions I used:

First to get the USB to work properly:

Install Flasher 3.5 - http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php
Download libusb-win32-bin-1.2.2.0.zip - http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/
Press U while starting N900 and attach USB
Wait for the original driver to install.
Run inf-wizard.exe (bin folder in zip) - Run as Administrator
Press "Next"
Search in list and select "0x0421 - 0x0105 - Nokia N900 (Update Mode)"
Press "Next"
Press "Next"
Save .inf file
Press "Install Now"
Press "Install this driver software anyway" on warning message.
You should get "Installation successful." and press OK.
Check Windows Device Manager for "libusb-win32 devices", expand and verify "Nokia N900 (Update Mode)" can be found.
Now you are ready to run Flasher 3.5 with your parameters.
(credit for above goes to codetracer)

NEXT TO USE THE FLASHER ON YOUR WINDOWS 7 64bit OS:

1. the process is extensive but quite comprehensive
2. you'll need to know ur imei for software downloads
Now roll up ur sleeves we'll bring ur N900 back to life!:
1. go to tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php
2. there r clear instructions on how to find and enter ur imei
3. after that throw the eula in a trash and click I agree
4. find RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin latest global release for Maemo 5 and click on it then download it
5. find RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin latest vanilla emmc content click on it then download it
6. place ur 2 .bin in the folder where maemo flasher was installed (e.g. C:/program files/maemo)
Now u should have the 3 required files for flashing:
1. flasher 3.5
2. RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin emmc content
3. RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin fiasco (OS)
The following procedure is the important one:
1. Be sure ur N900 has at least 50% of its battery charge
2. disconnect any internet connections (this is the issue with windows 7)
3. go to start menu then in the search type maemo flasher u should find it.
4. click on it it will open a cmd window
5. connect ur usb cable in ur pc not in the N900 yet
6. open ur N900's keyboard and press u button and keep holding it while plugging the usb cable in ur N900
7. faded Nokia logo with usb icon on top right corner shall appear
8. ur cool stop holding the u button now or ull suffer from finger constipation :P
9. returning to maemo flasher issue this command:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f (u can copy and paste it in maemo flasher)
10. HIT ENTER the windows 7 screen about allow and don't allow should appear click allow another cmd window shall appear it will show the flashing status takes about 5mins
11. after it finishes the other cmd window will close and u return to maemo flasher issue this command:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
12. the same other cmd window will appear showing flasing status after it finishes ur N900 will reboot
13. disconnect ur usb cable close flasher be happy
Now a bit work with ur N900
1. once ur N900 reboot open the ur battery cover, remove the battery, and yep we're not letting it boot
2. with the battery removed press the power button long press it for 5 seconds to leave away any static electricity from usb connecting
3. count 30 seconds then plug ur battery back do not put back the cover.
4. boot ur N900 by pressing the power button ur N900 should boot happily although it will take time with the 5 dots in the booting process
5. after it boots ull get the seetings of time and date etc...
6. put the cover back and brick ur N900 again :P
p.s. if ur led flashes orange when ur N900 boots after flashing NO WORRIES just repeat the takeoff battery static electricity process

If you're using custom EMMC just rename the custom emmc to RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin

Here are some custom EMMCs
5GB apps 24GB mydocs: http://www.mediafire.com/?j6srnaxwr3notaf
and this one too:
8GB apps 21GB mydocs (I use this one)
http://www.mediafire.com/?5o1hkuuwhn8hh1c

I don't take credit for this tutorial (thanks to ammyt). Just to clarify a few points.
The Fiasco is the first bin in the post above and must be flashed with only the -f (not -R) as you don't want to reboot the n900
As soon as you've flashed the 1st bin (fiasco), for gaining more application installation space(incease home dir), download anyone of the two bins above and change the same to RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin

Then follows ammyt's tutorial above. Just remember to put both bins in the same directory as the flasher-3.5.exe

***Don't forget to start flasher as adminstrator in window 7 64-bit.

Last edited by despat; 2010-12-17 at 21:02.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to despat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bristol, UK
hi guyz,

after installing this driver i have still got the same problem when windows 7 64bit was installing the orignal driver. it failed again n again. and now after when in device manager it shows the new driver with n900 (update mode) in it, my n900 gets stuck on "suitable USB driver not found, waiting"
please some one help.

PS: oh btw in device manager under USB section, there is not N900 driver

Tags
stupid windows