Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Anyway, in my opinion, the N900 sometimes remains in a wrong state after the shutdown (something seems to continue drain battery) and remove the battery for 30 seconds is good way the reset that situation. (maybe the alarm??? i don't know....)
I guess you're talking about the act_dead mode. If you shutdown the N900 and at least one of the following applies:

* connected to charger or unknown status of charger,
* an alarm is set

then the N900 will not turn off but go into actdead mode (sorta like another runlevel in Unix terms).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
@reinob
thank you very much for pointing that out!
I didn't know anything about the "act dead" status...

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
* an alarm is set
I always wondered how it restarted out of the cold so quickly when the alarm triggered.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
@freemangordon is its possible to improve N900's file copying process. whenever i try to copy files from one folder to another in EMMC it slows down phone so much that it is impossible to use N900 until copying is complete.

Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
mee too noticed this slowness problems

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
After testing cssu-thumb on my spare N900 for a long time, I finally upgraded my everyday N900 to use it. No problems after 1 day and rootfs has 7MB more free space than before. Thanks again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Regarding the idea of dropping libesd, pulse-esound-compat, etc from a couple of pages back: please don't. Because the version of pulseaudio used on the N900 is positively ancient, the protocol version has changed and it is no longer compatible with any recent version of pulseaudio. This currently makes module-esound-protocol-tcp the only way to use the network-transparency features of pulseaudio on the phone. See http://wiki.maemo.org/Streaming_Audio_To_N900. I'd applaud updating the pulseaudio version though, but as I understood that's impossible because of some closed modules from Nokia.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ErwinJunge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ErwinJunge View Post
Regarding the idea of dropping libesd, pulse-esound-compat, etc from a couple of pages back
Define "dropping". I suggested that

CSSU-team could test/check if this dependency is actually needed, and if not, remove it.
i.e. that the *dependency* be removed. All N900s need pulseaudio. Many/most N900 don't need esd. Hence esd should not be a dependency of pulseaudio, but a recommendation or suggestion or whatever you want to call it.

Every user would still have the freedom of apt-get install'ing esd or whatever other package he or she may want to install.

Personally I don't care about esd, and that's why I took it as an example. CSSU should be more "C" and less (first) "S". Open-sourced versions of Nokia closed-source programs should not be clones, they should bring improvements. Otherwise I *personally* don't care if the source code of a program is available or not (unless I want to modify it myself).

The same goes for dependencies. If Nokia decided that modest needs intellisync or exchange as a dependency, that doesn't mean that they are real dependencies, and hence CSSU should fix those dependencies and make them optional. [ This is just a ficticious example, I don't know if, but I guess that, those dependencies are actually there ]

But hey, as long as each user has the freedom to remove or install a package, what CSSU does or does not is irrelevant..

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
today i tried to install this cool new SDK in scratchbox. i followed instructions from wiki and found some little problems with it.

first, seems that 'sb-conf in -edL' should be 'sb-conf in -edLF' to avoid installing libfakeroot manually.

then everything went smooth (except that i can't understand why i should do 'rm -rf /targets/FREMANTLE_ARMEL_GCC472/opt' -- i ommited that step, there were only some perl crap which shouldn't hurt anything).

another thing i stepped in is alot of messages about duplicate functions (on a real project, not on 'hello_world.c'). some googling, and i found that i can add '-fgnu89-inline' to CFLAGS. i did that and then i was able to build my projects with this shiny new gcc 4.7!

and now, The Question: am i did something wrong, or it's just a little details that slipped thru some cracks in wiki?

p.s. thanks for an excellent work. i installed thumb2 two days ago and everything seems to work flawless (althru i didn't do much testing 'cause i'm not using email, or browser, or facebook, or other similar things).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ketmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
CSSU should be more "C" and less (first) "S".
Seamless doesn't have to be stripped for a more Community orientated Software Update.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life