Active Topics

It Better Be..

My back cover refuses to be detected no matter what I try. I've tried strong magnets, new back covers, and even pulled apart my phone to make sure everything was alright.

I think my sensor has failed.

Is there *any* software workaround for this issue? Does anyone know?

Just a quick bump. I've pretty much confirmed that my back cover sensor has died.

Are there any software solutions, hacks, etc, to make the phone think that the back cover is on so I can use MicroSD cards again? Or am I going to have to pay to get my phone repaired?

Originally Posted by JarZ View Post
Are there any software solutions, hacks, etc, to make the phone think that the back cover is on so I can use MicroSD cards again? Or am I going to have to pay to get my phone repaired?
Any updates?
Is there a software fix?

So...are there any software workarounds??

Reeeeally need this!!

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
I might be wrong...
gconftool-2 can found key
/system/osso/af/mmc-cover-open
which is false when back cover is closed and true when back cover is open.

This key is promptly set by sensor, so setting value of this GConf key manually may be in vain.

Wikiwide i think you may have just opened up alot of doors!

Basically i was messing around with that key with gconftool. And i changed the value from true to false using :

Code:
 sudo gainroot

gconftool-2 --type Boolean /system/osso/af/mmc-cover-open false
This set the value from True to False, you can check it via :

Code:
gconftool-2 --get /system/osso/af/mmc-cover-open
I set it to false, but the MMC is still not detected. ALTHOUGH the camera now responds to the shutter being opened and closed.

If you go :

Code:
gconftool-2 -a /system/osso/af
You'll find a list of Keys related to the back cover, camera and mmc. And their status will be displayed too!

IS IT POSSIBLE for anyone whos back cover works to test using the last code and display a status of the keys that are true and false? That would be really helpful, as that way we can enable/disable the right keys to truly fool the phone into thinking the back cover is on!

Thanks

Last edited by M00NB34M; 2010-11-09 at 11:45. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by M00NB34M View Post
I set it to false, but the MMC is still not detected.
Place the SD card in your PC and check it for errors. The card detection can fail if it has disc errors, fix them and it may re-appear.

This happened to me, so I copied all my data off, deleted the corrupted file and re-formated. After copying all my data back the card appeared OK

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Done that, funnily enough the card is in my laptop right now and there are no problems/errors with it. Iv tried the phone with 3 different cards. Its that damn sensor inside the phone which detects the magnet on the back cover!

The best way to approach this would be a kernel patch which basically told the phone to disregard the back cover and just accept the MMC as always being there! I don't have enough experience with kernel hacking

Originally Posted by M00NB34M View Post
Done that, funnily enough the card is in my laptop right now and there are no problems/errors with it. Iv tried the phone with 3 different cards. Its that damn sensor inside the phone which detects the magnet on the back cover!

The best way to approach this would be a kernel patch which basically told the phone to disregard the back cover and just accept the MMC as always being there! I don't have enough experience with kernel hacking
why dont u take it to repair?