Active Topics

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
What's interesting, I swapped the batteries with my spare N900. Result: both of them have a good battery consumption!

Any ideas why it happened? Wrong calibration?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
What the hell is that(see attachment)? Bnf shows that the predicted uptime is < 6 hrs
I'm on bme replacement (so bqCapacity doesn't work)

The same batteries work perfectly on my spare N900.

What might be the cause?
Attached Images

A small addition: the percentage drop is linear. See the attachment
Attached Images

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hi there!

Maybe it's worth checking modest -- few months ago I noticed heavy battery drain, in less than 12 hours from full charge to 0. Also bought new polarcell battery but didn't help. Finally isolated modest as source of troubles and now every few days just kill everything that have modest in name

No problems so far

The Following User Says Thank You to sponka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sponka View Post
Maybe it's worth checking modest
or Skype. As far as background processes go, Skype is the #1 battery killer. I have never had any problems with Modest. It is the best mobile email client I have ever tried. I have it set up with 7 accounts, checking every 30 minutes, no problems. I do not receive hundres of emails though.

Skype is a different animal altogether. Regardless of whether you use it or not, as long as you are logged in, it sends data like there is no tomorrow. In my case, 48+ hours on standby without Skype, less than 12 with.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Skype is a different animal altogether. Regardless of whether you use it or not, as long as you are logged in, it sends data like there is no tomorrow. In my case, 48+ hours on standby without Skype, less than 12 with.
Skype kills the battery fast, no doubt about it. I only use it to make calls to landlines, and I'm always disconnected otherwise.

When you say 48+ hours on standby, do you mean with the phone completely idle? My battery is over 3 years old and I get over 7 days in standby, which is surprising. In comparison, 1 hour of Skype voice over Wifi kills 30% of the battery.

BTW, I always try to drain my battery to 0%, and then fully charge and disconnect as soon as the LED turns green. It seems to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What's interesting, I swapped the batteries with my spare N900. Result: both of them have a good battery consumption!

Any ideas why it happened? Wrong calibration?
What's your typical battery usage? Do you let it drain to 0%, then charge to 100%?

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
I have one account in modest (I can't imagine my life without it - I know about no other finger-friendly e-mail for N900). How did you find out that it's modest.

I don't use Skype, Google Talk is turned off.

Today the phone was standby almost all the time, (only made 2 calls straight before the battery turned dead) and even though hardly used, it lasted only 7 hours. I'll italicize it: 7 hours on standby with only GSM network

There was some time after exchaning the batteries that I had more than 2 days of uptime. Then I'd charge when battery was less than 20%. Another thing that I experienced shutdown with no possibilites to boot up with 10-15% a couple of times.

Recently I've charged to 100% after it's drained to 0% because the battery drains before I get back home...

Last edited by marmistrz; 2014-09-30 at 14:58.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
When you say 48+ hours on standby, do you mean with the phone completely idle?
GSM on (2G only, no data). WiFi on (checking every 10 minutes), Modest set up as above. Bluetooth off. No calls, only about 2 or 3 SMS a day. In a known WiFi coverage area for about 50% of the time. If I leave the phone be like that, it manages for slightly longer than those 48 hours. The hard part is to resist playing with it, so in real life it usually lasts about a day.

I have not yet tried leaving it completely idle, with everything off.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
My powertop scan: http://paste.ubuntu.com/8466574/
I did it ~4 mins after a reboot.

Btw. I noticed that sometimes if I enter 2 keys very quickly (e.g. "iw") then 3 keys are received ("ifw"). And if a key is entered straight after unlocking the device, input is blocked and the volume is going up (you need something to catch the volume going up to input something more). Some hw damage, but it might be possibly related.