Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Can you elaborate? I thought non-free packages can be promoted at will by the maintainer?
Apparently the problem is when you want to promote an application that is in the free repository, but depends on non-free packages. This issue was raised by inean, regarding the use of non-free stuff from Nokia combined with qt-components for Fremantle.
We need response from X-Fade as we really don't know if this is a predefined rule, a bug in the promotion mechanism or simply, we are plain wrong and there is not such issue.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but if it's the disposition of otherwise free packages that depend on non-free ones, it's a big one that should be discussed more widely (preferably on maemo-developers). One option would be to introduce a "contrib" component for those as Debian does.
In fact, it's quite common to have free packages such as an open source game engine, depending on non-free stuff such as the game data, that might be re-distributable but non under an open license.

My suspicion is that we have some packages that should be organised in that way not properly classified.

This for instance is plain wrong (it should be in non-free, according to the content's licence). The free repositories should only contain freely-redistributable packages. If this was done so something that depends on it can also go in free then it's doubly wrong!
Right, and probably is not the only case of non-free stuff packaged in the free repository. I suspect that a lot of old-times games are in that situation.

I don't see the permission there, just a reference to "previous posts" but there are none in that thread. URL?
Yes, his previous posts are located elsewhere. Let me search for them and I will add them here for future reference. Anyhow, reading his post in the context of the thread, it's clear that he's giving permission to distribute that stuff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Apparently the problem is when you want to promote an application that is in the free repository, but depends on non-free packages.
Right. The way Debian deals with this is "contrib", perhaps we should also have one?

In fact, it's quite common to have free packages such as an open source game engine, depending on non-free stuff such as the game data, that might be re-distributable but non under an open license.
Well, the fonts are not even re-distributable according to the licence I see in the .deb. So seeing that in free scares me, people should be able to for example mirror free without having to worry about Nokia lawyers knocking on their doors tomorrow.

Right, and probably is not the only case of non-free stuff packaged in the free repository. I suspect that a lot of old-times games are in that situation.
Hm, perhaps we should perform an audit then.

Yes, his previous posts are located elsewhere. Let me search for them and I will add them here for future reference. Anyhow, reading his post in the context of the thread, it's clear that he's giving permission to distribute that stuff.
If it's a blanket re-distribution licence I'm fine with it, but I suspect it comes with strings (for example only for use on a Nokia device, or only for non-commercial use). In any case the full terns of the licence should be included in debian/copyright.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
It seems that Fremantle autobuilder is down.

We are also experiencing some problems with c-obs, though I don't have the details yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post: