http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...214#post508214

Unfortunately I feel that the way this situation have been handled reflect the whole immaturity of the platform...

So long N900
http://n900.sio2interactive.com

Last edited by sio2interactive; 2010-02-18 at 13:16.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Many of the posts here are based on personal opinions and personal preference, sometimes without regard to the long term interest of the platform itself.
How exactly are the long term interests of the platform served by having poor quality software fraudulently rammed into the repositories?

Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
is there seriously no way that this whole issue could have been handled privately?
[...]
I'm not suggesting what SI02 did was the right way to go about things, but he should have got a private slap down rather than this public one. Surely we need to encourage people to work on the N900, not push them away.
Not at any price. He did absolutely the wrong thing and deliberately abused the system. In a community it's important to deal with things in the open so people can make their own decisions about things. Given that SIO2 has shown a willingness to exploit a security/process bug for financial gain I'm not going to let any of his code near my systems, and I wouldn't suggest anyone else did either. Why should people be kept in the dark about such behaviour?

As a general point I'd be all for relegating non-Free software to Ovi - it's just not possible to do the sorts of proper QA that I'd expect from a community repo without proper access to the source.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Here we go...

The religous zealot war has begun.

Give sio2interactive a break!
He admitted he did something wrong and apologised.

I'm giving home the benefit of the doubt and will let his actions speak for him.
Judgng by the posts on this thread I think he has learnt his lesson!

If anybody here wants this platform to be successful then commercial software should be welcomed.

Paying for software is a personal choice. If I use an app and I am then expected to pay for it that's fine. If there is an open-source version I may use that instead - if it is good enough.

I thought one of the benefits of this open source malarky is the freedom of choice.

I can use an open source app if I want to or pay for a commercial app instead. It's up to me.

If no app exists then I may write my own. I may charge for it or I may open source it - that's my choice.

The SDK for maemo is completely free - I don't need to spend a small fortune for developer tools like some other platforms.

Before I bought the n900 I quite happily paid for software for my Palm T3. I bought a fully-capable officesuite (mobi-office about £20) which I used constantly. I also bought a couple of games for it too.

If the software works and the price is right then I will buy it.

If you are completely against commerical software then write your own open source equivalent.

What's wrong with paying for software?

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
This was a non-zero sum situation.

Both parties could've benefited from that situation, IF handled properly.

Now, both parties have incurred losses due to the way it was handled.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
As I said earlier, Sio2 made a bold mistake - a mistake that might be difficult to forget for everyone. However, this bad rep isn't of Sio2's interest either. Sio2's contributions to the platform should be appreciated as well, as the platform really need developers like Sio2. But that doesn't mean this act was justified...

Why not find a way to bring a solution to this? I'm sure about that good reputation is also important for Sio2; instead of complaining about what he shouldn't have done, why not suggest what Sio2 should do to change your mind. After all, he had the power to somehow publish commercial games for Maemo - something that no one has succeeded to do earlier...

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2010-02-18 at 13:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I haven't seen any real apology here. Only "it was just a little thing I exploited, nothing serious" -lines
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
As a general point I'd be all for relegating non-Free software to Ovi
Good Idea, lets go buy stuff from Ovi............

Having said that, if Ovi store was working we wouldn't really be having this kind of issue on maemo.org, and Nokia should not be dependant on the community solving it's paid app problems, or all the development problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freemantle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sinetype View Post
I think that we should implement some kind of rule that allow developers with approved apps to put more easily new apps on Extras without having to go through the entire process of approvoal. I am not saying that we need to jump some steps, i just think that we don't need to look as deep as usual.
As long as such apps are relegated to a special category that indicates that the developer's profits supercedes the end users security and is easily blockable that would be fine.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Here we go...

The religous zealot war has begun.
Not until you turned up. 'Zealot' indeed - as if that's a way to hold a reasonable discussion.

No, he didn't. He said he 'couldn't be blamed' for exploiting a bug because Ovi isn't working yet. That's crap.

What's wrong with paying for software?
In brief:
- You can pay for (and sell) free software.
- You don't have to agree with the philosophy of free software, but the reasoning is pretty clear. It's also clearly nothing to do with getting paid vs not.
- The reaction to the commercial apps has mostly been good. The bad reaction was to the deliberate perpetration of a fraud.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
i feel really disappointed.

idea was really promising, price wasn't so high, testingsquad could probably have taken both apps to testinglist next (to week 8) if asked nicely from VV, ......

..and then one ruins everything with such a transparent trick.

e: I quess the rule of 3 isn't yet implemented or anything but not totally sure.
just bumping this from the beginning of the thread.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search