Active Topics

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
As already mentioned in this thread there is unfixed critical memory corruption bug in all OS2006 firmwares and older hacker editions of OS2007. It was only recently fixed in latest hacker edition, see http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...on_bugfix.html

This bug can cause major system instability when WLAN network is enabled. It can also corrupt files which are written when wi-fi is enabled. For more details see http://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2006

This bug is known for more than year (see links in comment
http://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=677#c4) but was only recently analyzed and fixed.

You can download installable package from here or from bugzilla. File size 29666 bytes, md5sum is 7c8b12623ba0f74d096f214ecc44d167.
Package works both on latest OS2006 firmware and any OS2007 hacker edition so far.

It is advised to keep this on MMC card and install it after flashing affected firmware before using WLAN for the first time.

If you leave your wi-fi on at install time you must REBOOT your device after installation to make it effective so better disconnect before installation.

The fix lives in rootfs so if you boot more systems (from MMC) this must be installed in each system.

You don't need this for N800 and up and you also don't need it if you installed recent hacker edition linked above (whole image or just initfs). If installed on latest HE, it will override the fix already present.

You can verify in kernel log that fixed WLAN driver is installed - after boot open osso-xterm and type
Code:
dmesg
Driver is installed if you see something like
Code:
Unloaded CX3110x  driver, version 0.8
CX3110x chip variant: STLC4370
CX3110x: firmware version: 2.13.0.0.a.13.14
Loaded CX3110x driver, version 0.8.1-bug2006-fix1
Thanks should go to Tilman Vogel for detailed analysis of this bug, to Siarhei Siamashka (a.k.a. Serge here) for discovering and fixing it and to others who helped.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-11-20 at 13:17. Reason: 0.2 version does not need reboot if wi-fi is off

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Thank you fanoush, Tilman, and Serge for all of your hard work.

etaoin

Is there value to installing this deb without reflashing?

Thanks,
Ron G

Originally Posted by Ron G View Post
Is there value to installing this deb without reflashing?
Yes, of course. Definitely it is worth installing since it will stop further corruption. It is just that you may already have some filesystem corruption so some crashes may remain. One example is previous installation of something over wi-fi that may cause corrupted binaries being saved while they are installed. Same applies to various configuration files saved by system or applications, see this.
However it is possible that your system is still in good shape since most errors are only in RAM and there is high probability they bring system or application down before anything is saved permanently.

Reflash only if you have problems or want to start from clean system.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hmm... I re-flashed and installed the fix from mmc.
Whenever I open a browser it closes after a few seconds.

I will try again.

So I re-flashed again and, before installing the patch, tooled around the Internet for a few minutes. Everything seemed OK except that Internettablettalk is incredibly slow (hanging on an ad server?) and freezes my 770 for long periods.

Then I installed the fix and tried again. In about 15 minutes of surfing I had one crash - on Internettablettalk.

I gave up on the latest 2007HE this morning because it choked on Internettablettalk. Going back to OS2006 with/without the fix is better, but it is still really bad - slow and the browser crashes.

I guess I will leave it on OS2006 + fix and avoid Internettablettalk for the time being.

I have had a tough time with internettablettalk.com since the new format on my 770 as well. I have to disable javascript so it does not crash.

I only ever set foot on ITT with my tablet using Mobile mode. It was quite broken in the very beginning but Reggie has improved it repeatedly since and it is now quite functional, at least for the usual things : see threads with new posts since last visit, read new posts, a quick answer, a search...

Back on topic : I just installed the Fanoush-fix on my 770 successfully, now we'll see if its still reboots itself within the next 24 hrs or not :-)

Originally Posted by dont View Post
Hmm... I re-flashed and installed the fix from mmc.
Whenever I open a browser it closes after a few seconds.
First - you did not mention rebooting, you should reboot after installation.

Second - this will not make your device magically 100% stable, there may be other bugs in the system (and particularly the browser).

Anyone is welcome to verify it with memtester. I did not verify this specific build but I did verify some previous builds with same patch applied.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-11-16 at 17:53.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
First - you did not mention rebooting, you should reboot after installation.
You are right even though you said so in bold letters.

I will do it again.