Active Topics

Ok folks, just looking for a little more advice on what the N900 can and can't do.
Having read through here I'm convinced it will handle the bulk of my needs, web browsing, IM, Video and Music Playback, but what else is the device capable of?
What other bits and bobs can I do with it that I could maybe not do with an Android device?
To me it looks as if the N900 is a more powerful all round device than the N1.

Open Office 3.1, Gimp (slowly, however)

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
It can be an ebook reader, handle audio books, dont forget with video it can play all sorts of formats / codecs & HD content and more codecs are being updated.

The device is very intergrated with the services. At the moment i bet your comparing it to a desktop or iphone or an equivalent.

The N900 is much sleeker, and everything is integrated, not seperate apps.

But for me what i found was the growing number of apps filled in the gaps where i needed to do something, such as:

Catorise (all apps are auto installed by what category they are from)
Extra Decoders Support (more codec support for video player)

But there are a lot of apps i can quote, the N900 in my experience is the most versitile of any device, because of its open source nature people can develop apps for anything.

Dont be put off by people saying thinks like "Open Office 3.1, Gimp (slowly, however) " this is as they are running apps designed for a desktop which are not optimised for the N900, once they are ported over properly they will run fast.

Take a look through what is available for download and looking in the testing area here:

http://maemo.org/packages/repository...xtras-testing/

and your get an idea of the wealth of apps being developed by some very creative people in the Maemo community !!

Man, they will never be ported and optimized for mobile device. Nor MS office for WinMobile, nor Open Office for Maemo or Android. You need not to fear desktop apps on your mobile device. If you really need this function Maemo(Easy Debian) gives it to you. Think yourself, not let managers think instead of you! Dont be slave.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
i think theres enough info on here already about what it does, what it could do and what it currently has problems with....

Seriously, you guys need to use the search button

Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
i think theres enough info on here already about what it does, what it could do and what it currently has problems with....
I guess thats really what I'm looking for info about, what else is it possible it will be able to do.....

Originally Posted by vietn900 View Post
Seriously, you guys need to use the search button
Thanks for the lovely welcome to the forum, certainly makes me want to join the Maemo community.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Itīs capable of doing whatever you code it to do (almost anything).
Look trought downloads section. Look trought talk/application section and you will probably find some neat stuff.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London UK
If you want to know what it can do look in downloads, if you want help with it start a topic.