Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
The way forward is sort out certificate issues (CSSU etc) and use supl.nokia.com.
I frown on that one too, quite possible it gets shut down sooner rather than later

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I frown on that one too, quite possible it gets shut down sooner rather than later
Did that Finnish server stay with what still functions as Nokia, rather than passing with the phone business to Microsoft?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Did that Finnish server stay with what still functions as Nokia, rather than passing with the phone business to Microsoft?
well, who knows. Nokia has a record of simply forgetting servers and then they run for a few months or years unattended until they finally get rooted or break down on var/log/* overflow or a broken harddisk or whatever
Actually they forgot a complete Akamai server farm that been tabletsdev.nokia.com, and they went all panic when we eventually re-enabled the stage where that content deployment system pulled its data from, which happened to be tablets-dev.maemo.org ;-P. Another fine example is the http://www.wirelessmodemapi.com box that ran for years on a IP without URL (the http://www.wirelessmodemapi.com DNS eventually got redirected to elsewhere) but was basically dead and didn't answer to any port 80 requests.

PS: I just tested my N900 indoor next to window with "Location Test" app, and cold TTFF been ~10s. I am quite sure this can only get accomplished by RRLP over UMTS from my "SIM" on O2 Germany. Means: as long as you got a SIM in your phone, you may easily get away with excellent GPS without ever using a SUPL server
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-12-19 at 12:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
What are the alternatives? Do OSM or someone similar have a SUPL server we can use? The last time I tried searching for such an alternative I failed miserably.

If the current situation is to use Google or Nokia then I'd rather share my location with the one that's less associated with hoarding data. I believe Mozilla are using Nokia for A-GPS in Firefox OS so I would hope it won't be shut down anytime soon.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I also failed completely
But sonyericsson one was the best try out. Iirc I could not extract/install certificate that time. Maybe another one?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
For those unaware it has been reported on IRC that supl.nokia.com server certificate has expired on the 16th.
This may cause your device to take longer to get a GPS fix.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
supl.google.com is working fine

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
supl.google.com is working fine
If correct, that is news indeed, as many of us moved back to the Nokia server because google stopped accepting connections. Guess it is time to test afresh.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Here are more to test.

Google
supl.google.com
PORT=7276

Nokia
supl.nokia.com
PORT=7275

Sony/Ericsson
supl.sonyericsson.com
PORT=7275

T-mobile
lbs.geo.t-mobile.com
PORT=7275

AT&T
h-slp.mnc410.mcc310.pub.3gppnetwork.org
PORT=7275

Sony
supl.sonymobile.com

LGE
lge.glpals.com

Misc
dcm-supl.com : 7275
supl.skyhook.com : 7278
suplcn.sirf.com:7276
sls1.sirf.com:7275
sls2.sirf.com:7276
supl.vodafone.com:7275

Last edited by Halftux; 2015-04-21 at 14:31.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany, Berlin
Thank you Halftux , interesting list!

I would like to add

Vodafone
supl.vodafone.com
PORT=7275

Thats the one I use now (switched from supl.nokia.com). And it gives me a quite quick fix.

Still most servers from the list are not accessable (from Germany) and some not even have a corresponding IP address in DNS.

Back in 2013 supl.google.com and supl.sonyericsson.com were responding with different data than supl.nokia.com (and supl.vodafone.com) so that N900 could not work with it.
So I see nokia and vodafone as the only options.
And I expect Nokia to refresh their certificate soon, as the server is not only used by N900s, but quite a lot of other devices.

And peterleinchen was looking for the certificate for supl.sonyericsson.com:
Head over to http://pastebin.com/829KdpUs
and search for "C=SE, L=Lund, O=Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, OU=Sony Ericsson Secure E2E".
Next lines from (including) Begin to End Certificate should be copied into a pem-file. Thats the certificate for the issuer of the supl.sonyericsson.com certificate.

Cheers, Ulle

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ulle For This Useful Post:

Tags
a-gps, nokia n900