Poll: How do you prefer to organise subforums?
Poll Options
How do you prefer to organise subforums?

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I don't think that specific applications, games, etc subforums are needed for each device/OS. Some systems simply don't have so much activity and, on the other side, there are applications that are multiplatform and it could be better for the maintainers to use only one thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I don't think that specific applications, games, etc subforums are needed for each device/OS. Some systems simply don't have so much activity and, on the other side, there are applications that are multiplatform and it could be better for the maintainers to use only one thread.
so meego threads should overflov maemo.org so that maemo users have a harder time finding everything instead of keeping things neat and clean?

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
so meego threads should overflov maemo.org so that maemo users have a harder time finding everything instead of keeping things neat and clean?
The proposal to avoid that is to use a tagging/prefix system, that way it would be easier to find what you are interested in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
The proposal to avoid that is to use a tagging/prefix system, that way it would be easier to find what you are interested in.
To be honest I don't know if that would make things better or worse. imo it's simpler to have clear forum structure without the need to add additional information to the posts. Not everyone would do it anyway. Currently we have a bit of an overlap in some sections that can be fixed by combining existing things like stated earlier by someone while adding a few new ones.

The active topics already contain mostly uninteresting things to me. I tend to just browse through some selected sections and leave the rest alone. So while the ability to select the things shown in the active topics would be a nice to have feature to have I don't see it as the most important thing in this thing.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
easier maybe, but im not looking for easier but easiest and most logical, i want to avoid certain things COMPLETELY and i dont want to browse trough stuff that dont interest me a bit just because it is all mixed up in one big pile

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Please take into consideration that too many nesting levels make the use of the website impractical. We should keep it as clean as possible while adding a few new categories and merging some others. A way to make everyone happy is to allow for a customizable home page, or allowing a searchresult to be used as homepage. (e.g. latest topics which fulfill certain criteria)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I have added a poll about this precise question that seems the most problematic. Any more suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I have added a poll about this precise question that seems the most problematic. Any more suggestions?
I more in favour of the nesting of those options but wouldn't add games, applications, etc. subsections for each os/device. That would just add more overlap. Many of the applications are available for multiple targets so I'd leave those sections as they are. In stead I'd just merge os + maching device(s) like someone proposed earlier (for example N900/Maemo5, N8x0/Maemo4, etc.).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
We haven't received many votes to this proposal, so I'm not completely confident about moving it to Council.

Please vote!

4. In section Devices merge subsections for Nokia N810/N800/N700 and create a new section for Vivaldi.
Perhaps the OMAP2-generation devices can be merged, but the 770 should be kept separate.