Active Topics

Since I can't get my Treo 700wx to work with my N800, I would like to know what phones people have gotten connected and successfully used the data connection with. If you could list your phone and provider that would be great.

If I can find a basic phone with bluetooth that works, I'll probably dump my 700wx and just use a basic phone and the data off of the N800.

So, what do you all have that works?

GERob

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Since my BB 8700g from TMobile didnt work ether I wen and bought me a Sony Ericson T610 and it works grate... When I am done using the data side I just pop the sim card back in my BB.
I only pay 20 Bucks for the phone

nokia n80 works a treat!

I just bought a Samsung SYNC from Cingular yesterday and it works great so far. It has 3G (HSDPA) and Bluetooth 2.0 which makes it a perfect companion for my N800. I haven't speed tested the connection yet, but it seems to be just as fast as using my 10Mbps cable modem. My friend has a HTC Hermes / Cingular 8525 and has speed tested his connection and consistently gets 1Mbps down / 350kbps up. The theoretical maximum for downloading is 3.6Mbps right now, but is supposed to increase to 7.2Mbps later this year although its probably a moot point as Bluetooth 2.0 only supports up to 3.2Mbps I believe. Their 3G service is limited to most metropolitan areas right now, but when you don't have 3G you get their EDGE service which is reasonably fast, 100-150kbps. I'm in the San Francisco area and pretty much get 3G service everywhere. I would look at their coverage map and see what the service is like in your area.

Amazon has the SYNC for -$25.00 after rebates. Unfortunately, I was on a family plan that didn't qualify for Amazon's rebates so I ended up getting it from a Cingular store for $99 - $50 Mail In Rebate. For the data plan I'm using Cingular's MediaMax 200 bundle for $19.99/month which includes 200 text messages, unlimited internet, and unlimited Cingular Video. Technically you are not supposed to tether with this plan, but the concensus on HowardForums is that as long as you aren't abusing bandwidth (i.e. BitTorrent) you'll probably be okay. There is also a new Motorola RAZR with 3G from Cingular that looks like it would be a good phone for data, but I personally don't like the flat keypad and the ergonomics of the RAZR series. Plus, everyone and their mother has a RAZR.

There are a few quirks about the Samsung SYNC that bug me a little. It's supposedly a music phone, but in order to use MP3s as ringtones you have to cut down the length of the track to approximately 25 seconds. My old Nokia 6230 had no problems using full tracks as ringtones. The other thing that bugs me is that you can't turn off the shutter sound when using the camera, and it's quite loud. Supposedly this was done to most of the newer camera phones to prevent people from taking pictures (2.0MP) from taking pictures of people without their knowledge, i.e. bathroom stalls, etc. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the phone. I generally try to find WiFi spots to hop on to, but if I can't find one all I have to do is select my phone from the connection manager and I've got internet access. Hope this helps, and sorry for the long winded post

The Following User Says Thank You to THX1138 For This Useful Post:
Hey,

There is a rather extensive list over at maemo.org with lots of phones tested.
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/BluetoothDUN

Personally, I use a Nokia 6280 with my N800, and it works like a charm - took 10 seconds setting it up (pairing) and then it just works straight out of the box. Also it's not the most expensive phone even though it is one of the better ones.

Good luck with your connection :-)

// Kny

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by becksvector View Post
nokia n80 works a treat!
I'll second that. You can also transfer the pictures taken from the N80's camera to the N800 over bluetooth for posting to a blog, etc...

My old Nokia 6630 also worked with the 770, but I've never tried it with the N800.

This being said, your issues may not be phone dependent. Can you make a bluetooth connection from the N800 to the phone? Can you connect to the web with the phone only?

I have the Nokia E62 and the N800. Works great! No problems setting it. Just followed the on screen directions and it worked.

I am using my Verizon PPC 6700 EDVO. I connect thru, USB Modem (VIA Bluetooth) works great.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ South Carolina USA
Jazzblast 12, how are you doing that? Can you walk me through it?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, USA
Originally Posted by GERob View Post
Since I can't get my Treo 700wx to work with my N800, I would like to know what phones people have gotten connected and successfully used the data connection with. If you could list your phone and provider that would be great.

So, what do you all have that works?

GERob
I use an unlocked Treo 650 on the Cingular network and connect via bluetooth. The phone setup wizard that the n800 has works like a champ, even for a noob like me.