Originally Posted by somedude View Post
where in the world were you when nokia it self said it will be available in OCTOBER in selected market.
I know where you got that from nokiablog.
i really didn't know that press release that says end october.
i will think about it on 1 of nov

nokia germany today doesn't know anything about a later release of the device. But, i think the supporters get there information out of there own online shop.

Originally Posted by mak View Post
i really didn't know that press release that says end october.
i will think about it on 1 of nov

nokia germany today doesn't know anything about a later release of the device. But, i think the supporters get there information out of there own online shop.
well neither did say anything about the 12th october and all nokia said was it will be available in october.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
What makes you say that?

The marketing guy just showed up making excuses for why he has no clue when this thing will launch!
Please, give people some respect.

Originally Posted by att View Post
please, give people some respect.
amen......

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
And yes, we've gotten some decent feedback from the community after the Maemo Summit from those 300 devices we gave out with some things we haven't detected in our usual-for-all-devices testing around the world. Some of this feedback, we want to take into account in both the first sales software release i.e. PR1.0 and some in software updates we provide later this year.
I figured something like this happened. The reality of product development is that users never do what you expect.

I think the problem that's developing here (people getting frustrated, endlessly checking with support staff in retailers) is happening because of a lack information and a lack of an obvious source of information. I've owned several Nokia phones and I've always had a problem actually buying one on release - typically the announcement is made and the device becomes available seemingly randomly in different markets.

One of the reasons people are really interested in the N900/Maemo is the openness of the platform and I think this gives a hint that people want more and more information about what's going on. That has to feed through into the marketing and logistics as well.

When delays happen there's always a risk that the buzz already created around the product will start to turn sour and the product launch will be a failure when it does happen. I think people would understand delays happen if they just knew about them and why - instead people focus on retailer due dates which are of course very inaccurate and arbitrary. Then they get angry when the retailer date changes suddenly.

Something like a twitter feed would be great - just something to say you're pushing out development a couple of weeks to respond to user feedback.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Not sure why you posted here, if you weren't going to say anything.
I think you missed what he was saying, be patient.
Nokia will release an official statement once the device is shipping.

Not that this isn't very frustrating, clearly the device is not ready yet.
Once the firmware reaches "1.0 PR" it is it will be released, not before.
So looks like they are not going to release until they are happy enough with the firmware.

I would be quite happy with pre-release firmware, but I am used to this kind of release - I bet there are a lot of people out there who would scream loudly if the firmware isn't up to scratch, esp. given the reviews from Eldar etc.

I hope I can have a peak at it at the London Nokia shop

I'm not sure how many of you have pre-ordered devices/software in the past, but my experience every time has been that release dates are always missed, and by a huge amount! It would not surprise me if December rolls around before i see my n900. The fact that i got sucked into it once again actually thinking it would ship "on time" according to various unreliable sources is no fault but mine.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Spanish nokia online says( to my email) end october.
Expansys online shop, spanish page, says from now on 8 days(yesterday says from now on 9 days)
Expansys Finland 8 days.
Expansys USA, only for pre-order.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
I think I can safely promise you "before 2012"! (Because I will look for another job if this thing soon doesn't leave the factory).

"Nokia marketing sucks"? Well, what should I say? Thanks for nothing, maybe?! ;-)
Thanks for posting, it's finally good to here from someone official on the actual project.

From a business standpoint though, sometimes instead of just pushing the release date back, and back, and back it's better to just flat out and say "This is how much time we need, and here's the expected date you'll get it." We all want this awesome device, and we understand sometimes hiccups happen, but we'd be more understanding if Nokia just gave us a definitive date.

Sometimes saying you need more time than you actually need, in-case something else pops up along the road you didn't expect is better than saying nothing at all.

It's better to have stated you need more time and not need it, than to need it and not have stated it.

-Socrates 469 BC

Originally Posted by bleomycin View Post
I'm not sure how many of you have pre-ordered devices/software in the past, but my experience every time has been that release dates are always missed, and by a huge amount! It would not surprise me if December rolls around before i see my n900. The fact that i got sucked into it once again actually thinking it would ship "on time" according to various unreliable sources is no fault but mine.
Lol great post. Hear hear.

Tags
black hole, choc santa is a priority, delete this thread, egg on toast, fokia n900000000000000 :d, i love peter, mental instatution, n900 is a hoax :p, n900 is soylent green, not-garbage thread!, november release, peter is hot, peter was here, serenity now, spam, this is daycare, this thread is dead, urge to kill rising, when will it arrive!, whiners unite, your face is a daycare, zamunda