Active Topics

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
A slight tweak in Nokia's tactics may have averted such a toxic atmosphere.
I am curious as to what you mean. Could you elaborate?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
I think r0eladn is a good example of somebody losing their emotional investment due to disappointment.

Now, you can choose to understand his perspective or you can ridicule him, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that this behavior is symptomatic (rightly or not) of the sequence of events that Nokia have played a significant part in determining.

A slight tweak in Nokia's tactics may have averted such a toxic atmosphere.
I do not remember first of all there being a firm release date. Secondly, I would bet that the shitstorm that would erupt if something critical went out the door versus to the hurt feelings due to the delay as Gojiira crushing Tokyo compared to the GEICO gecko shouting over a megaphone in the middle of Akihabara that all gaijin are wankers.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by r0eladn View Post
thats harsh. douchebags you are. people make schedules for stuff in their minds. also for when to use a phucking fone.

this delay has put me out of balance. yeah let's talk about KARMA on the maemo boards. fsck my csck
Well said rOeladn... I hate people who mock another person all because someone canceled an order for a device that Nokia can't give accurate information on.

So what if it was the guy's first post, he's probably been reading this entire thread and the one before it and because he's just now posting to convey his action's in canceling his order because Nokia fails at deliver a definitive delivery date people decide to a obnoxious *******... Just because the guy has one post doesn't make him deserve that treatment, Maemo is an open forum about an open OS, so seriously grow up.

Not every person is going to just sit around and wait while the N900 keeps getting pushed back, and back, and back. People will ultimately cancel, but mocking them or being condescending because they canceled just shows that their maturity has a limit.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Thanks Jed.

Though i'd rather see myself as a victim of unbalance in emotion/rationale fixing it with an aggression outlet on the maemo boards.

i am 90% rational and 10% emotions. my rational says me to get this phone and my emotions are only following my dlck. since the biggest hole in the device is for the 3.5mm jack plug that aint gonna work for me so i don't care about any of this. just need my phucking fone.

but nonetheless what you say is very true my friend. and i don't know who started this put your emotions about your n900 in a maemo thread anyway. there is so much rational on the maemo boards that if u don't know linux you might only be able to use your emotions when you are new here and don't know anything on the technical side of maemo(.org).

and tactics my @ss. westwood with RA2 or rockstar with GTA didn't even know what tactics was and thats perfectly phucking phine.

we need a grouptherapist in this thread thats what i say. and we need him now before we all become phone-junkies that get off by calling every phone supplier in the country just so we can get a little hope from a 17 year old college boy or 40 year old supermarket promoted to callcentre mom who makes a mistake in her thinking process on whether to say the words it will be here soon or oh-yeah-that-is-right-let's-tell-the-truth-for-a-change-because-my-manager-likes-that-better-and-what-the-customers-like-actually-noone-cares-about.

oh and what spinnukur says is also very true indeed. i think it would be good for a lot of the n00bs to get a nice welcome here and might invest some time in the tech aspect of this maemo stuff. serious business here so if there is people to stay guess it should be good.

i really should be going this is more offtopic than offtopic. i think. i dont know. damn it to pieces

Last edited by r0eladn; 2009-10-22 at 18:38.

I am not complaining. I want the phone to be released when it is ready.

However when I pre-ordered in September I chatted with a NokiaUSA representative who said that it would be shipped by the end of September. Then in October I had the same chat with two more NokiaUSA reps saying it would be shipped by the end of October. Nokia has not managed my expectations well.

On the positive side the delay will give me time to consider Droid and other Android options that will be able to work on the 3G networks in my area as they are released.

If it were available and supported AT&T 3G frequencies the N900 would without question be the best phone for me as a Linux developer / DBA. I somewhat debate whether I would be better off with Android with 3G or Maemo without.

The fact that we were kept in the dark is the issue, company aint honest, they stuck to end october all the way till nw even though we have repeatedly asked AND they insisted everything was on track.

So, it is disappointing and I would understand if people turn away because this is NOT good customer service. In addition, the service reps at nokiausa keep throwing out dates, beginning oct, mid, end and now nov.

The reps should shut it until they know for sure, and company give a firm date they can actually stick to.

Last edited by zfarooq; 2009-10-22 at 18:38.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
I am curious as to what you mean. Could you elaborate?
I wouldn't dare suggest I'm competent to advise Nokia on such things.

I would have considered adopting a more candid approach to communicating with the core 'community' - in this case, the maemo.org community. However, there is a business conflict here - too much negative information flying around can harm future prospects especially in the stock market, but sufficient, well tailored information can also help to build trust (even though there's a delay, confidence & trust is improved by your ability to solve the problem).

It seems that Nokia have completely avoided tackling this dilemma, opting for a "they can't hang us words we never said" approach - which leaves the very people they depend on (paying customers) to have their imaginations run wild and emotions run high and negativity to poison the intertubes

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
I do not remember first of all there being a firm release date. Secondly, I would bet that the shitstorm that would erupt if something critical went out the door versus to the hurt feelings due to the delay as Gojiira crushing Tokyo compared to the GEICO gecko shouting over a megaphone in the middle of Akihabara that all gaijin are wankers.

When NokiaUSA, both via phone, live chat and email say end of Sept, then first of Oct, then mid Oct, then end of Oct, now Nov, then finally with Peter saying sometime during Nov, I believe any intelligent person will realize that's an official date hence being from the official company who designed and manufactured the device, even more so since the people telling you this actually work for Nokia ( doesn't mean they know what they are talking about, but that's not the point...they work for Nokia, thus if they don't know the date they shouldn't be giving out theoretical dates on maybe when it'll be released. ).

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-10-22 at 18:40.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I find myself reflecting that if "WE Are Maemo", Maemo has a bit of a problem.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Maemo is an open forum about an open OS, so seriously grow up ... just shows that their maturity has a limit.
Love the comments about "growing up" and "maturity".

On the topic of maturity, I'm surprised that this thread has made it to almost 550 posts without any lego bestiality pics. Things are looking up!

Tags
black hole, choc santa is a priority, delete this thread, egg on toast, fokia n900000000000000 :d, i love peter, mental instatution, n900 is a hoax :p, n900 is soylent green, not-garbage thread!, november release, peter is hot, peter was here, serenity now, spam, this is daycare, this thread is dead, urge to kill rising, when will it arrive!, whiners unite, your face is a daycare, zamunda