Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Just a heads up for everybody. The itT wiki is going to be closed down in favor of the maemo.org wiki with the Talk transition. A few months ago, andrewfblack put in a lot of effort to move the useful pages from the itT wiki over to maemo.org. Unfortunately it seem a lot of you are still investing a lot of time into updating the itT wiki.

As such, I'll recommend to everybody doing so (again) that they find all of their favorite pages and move them over to maemo.org ASAP.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I must admit that I haven't been paying attention to maemo.org and the work being done there. I just pop into ITT once in a while for news and with the ITT wiki just one click away I kept going there. But now we have a situation where there are two versions of articles. How do you suggest we merge them? No matter which way you do it someones edit work will be for naught. Also wouldn't it be an idea to make the ITT wiki read-only for a month or two with a warning above all articles pointing to the Maemo one?

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2009-01-28 at 23:51.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
But now we have a situation where there are two versions of articles. How do you suggest we merge them?
If one is clearly better than the other, then pick the better one and delete the worse one. If they're similar, merge what seems appropriate and see if you can't make a better article in the process.

There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

No matter which way you do it someones edit work will be for naught.
Something everybody who goes to edit a wiki should make peace with.

Also wouldn't it be an idea to make the ITT wiki read-only for a month or two with a warning above all articles pointing to the Maemo one?
Probably, though Reggie will need to be the one to do it.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
At least three of the edits in your "still investing a lot of time" link are just me putting a bunch of ITt posts from daperl into a single place. No disaster if it all disappears.

GA: can you give us a timeline for the shutdown? Are we talking days, weeks, or months?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
At least three of the edits in your "still investing a lot of time" link are just me putting a bunch of ITt posts from daperl into a single place. No disaster if it all disappears.
Well, let's go back to the date of the announcement then. Whatever value you want to put on those edits, they're still taking place in a wiki that will soon cease to exist. I'm sure the people making them would just as soon like to know that.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
GA: can you give us a timeline for the shutdown? Are we talking days, weeks, or months?
It should coincide with the Talk transition: weeks to month.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Any chance the old wiki could be put back up?

I suggest it be restored, but with two changes:
(!) Put a notice on each page that it's been deprecated and is no longer updated, and put a link to the new wiki in the notice
(2) Make it non-editable

I'd like the old wiki back because it seems the new wiki sometimes lacks things the old wiki had, and my iTT Google Search finds things in the old wiki, that are inaccessible since it is shut down.

For example, if I put nuvoclear theme into the Google iTT search, and I refine the results for wiki-entries, I get pointed to an old wiki entry entitled "Theme List" -- OTOH, when I go to the new wiki, it appears there are no entries listing already-created Themes, and I don't have a good way to search for it.

Similarly, IIRC, there used to be a more extensive SSH tutorial in the old wiki.

Another, related example: I just put winscp hostname into Google iTT search, and the first hit is from the old wiki:

"Networking:Public key logins for putty, pscp and winscp - Internet ...
For winscp create a new session filling in the host name (n810), user name (user), and private key file (the ppk file you saved). ..."

The above, of course, are just examples.

Finally, I'm all for the new wiki: Shouldn't it have a top-level link all its own, along with

* Intro
* Downloads
* Community
* Development
* News
* TALK
?

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-05-07 at 21:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Similarly, IIRC, there used to be a more extensive SSH tutorial in the old wiki.
The opportunity was there to move stuff over (the planned changeover was announced in the middle of last year and has since been re-announced on several occasions), AndrewFBlack moved a lot of articles over, but not everything was of good enough quality to be worth saving.

I'm planning on doing a more extensive SSH article soon.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Finally, I'm all for the new wiki: Shouldn't it have a top-level link all its own, along with
I fought for this, personally, but the consensus went to burying it in under Community instead.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I'm kind of hoping the old Wiki just got shut off, not permanently deleted... but don't know for sure. If it is just shut down and not fully removed any chance that we can get it at least put up and just tucked away somewhere as I noticed there are a few articles that never made it over (the whole huge article we had about wired USB networking for example is now completely gone, and it was very relevant information for current generation tablet owners...)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Quim, yes, this is too bad.

I'm looking at it from the point of view of someone who has virtually no familiarity with SSH. I could make no use of the above SSH-related link. Either it was lacking information or assumed knowledge above my level.

OTOH, I found the source of what I previously found on the wiki. It came from a bunanson post. (Shout out to bunanson: Thank you for these step-by-step instructions you post in the forum!)

With the help of bunanson's instructions -- which used to be in the wiki -- I was able to get winscp and ssh working.

So I ask, What's wrong with putting the old wiki back online? (That is, putting it back online with my aforementioned changes:
(!) Put a notice on each page that it's been deprecated and is no longer updated, and put a link to the new wiki in the notice
(2) Make it non-editable)

Not only is this good because it provides information that was in the old wiki but didn't get transferred, but it also would inform people about the new wiki who are directed to old-wiki links when they do a Google search.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: