I just found an inexpensive spectrum analyzer to troublshoot wireless networks. It has some 3rd party open source software that lets you see waveforms save traces and generally make finding wifi problems a breeze, since my n800 is so great at picking up AP's. Is there a possibilty of someone porting this app and making it use the built in wifi>? Before i found this tool i was making due with the old proxim card and the dull boring snoop tool. The graphics on the n800 are so much better and the wireless is extremely sensitive i figure this would make this device a hot seller!

the link for the tools

http://www.kismetwireless.net/wispy.shtml

link for device
http://www.metageek.net/software.php

thanks

First off, I own a Wi-Spy. The software needs the hardware spectrum analyzer dongle to work. You can't point the software at generic WiFi hardware and have it use that instead. There is little chance of getting the Wi-Spy dongle to work with the n800, as you would need powered, host mode usb support. The chips are there, but I don't know if anyone outside Nokia knows if the traces are present. There is no official or unofficial support for powered hostmode usb at this point. There may be in the future. Once that is in place, it should be possible to use it with the Wispy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
I know this is an old thread, but I just ported the spectool_gtk and it works (See n810 host mode made easy in the N810 section or just search on wispy). The device in host mode (or USB OTG with a cable with the sense line) works directly, i.e. no powered hub needed. I think it uses some standard USB chip, or at least something libusb (which the spectools use) can recognize and/or work iwth.

tz1, do you have the port posted somewhere it can be downloaded? I have a Wispy and recently purchased a gender changer to play around with host mode usb. Too bad Linux doesn't yet have anything quite up to par with Eekiu.

AFAIK, the 1st generation Wispy dongle was actually just some 2.4 Ghz wireless mouse receiver. If you opened up the casing there was actually an associate button inside. One of the more interesting cases of repurposing hardware for something other than its intended use. The new second generation Wispy 2.4 device is custom hardware, I believe.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
I was talking to the developer from kismet awhile ago in maemo IRC, he threw a few screenshots up of what he was working on at some stage, I have no idea how far he is or if he plans to ever release it.

-Rip

Last edited by RipTorn; 2008-01-15 at 05:01.

Hmmm, I know Dragorn sometimes hangs out here. I wonder if he would be so kinda to release his binaries. I'll see about send him a PM. I think he has a newer version of Kismet compiled too which he hasn't yet released. I know he was wanting some support from Nokia on improving compatibility with their WiFi implementation that really wasn't getting.

This is the file - you might need to make sure it downloads as binary and do chmod +x, but it does basically what the picture in an above post shows, except I have only the original WiSpy so the resolution is lower and a slightly different micro-A to B cable setup.

Not hildonized, nor packaged but working:

http://homepage.mac.com/tz1/.Public/n810/spectool_gtk

(I have a very small USB microSD drive from fruper.com which I've been using to transfer files in host mode, so I've been lazy about figuring out how to package, that and my laptop which had scratchbox is out for repair and I haven't yet put the toolchain on the n810 itself)

Spent a rather frustrating hour trying to get this to work. I have both a n800 and a n810 and am using the factory included micro and mini usb cables in conjunction with a A Female <-> A Female gender changer.

I am becoming root and then echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode to put each device into host mode. I then plug in my cable and on my n810 nothing happens, except I have to reboot or echo otg> yadayada to get my n810 back into otg mode. On my n800 I am able to get a thumbdrive working, so I know hostmode is working on my n800 at least. When I plug my WiSpy in and start spectool_gtk I can select my WiSpy from the device list but the application freezes and then causes my n800 to reboot 5-10 seconds later. Any ideas?

I don't know why it works sometimes and other times locks.

First, I'm using it already attached to a A sense cable, so it trips OTG into host mode when I attach it, and then wait for the two messages (unrecognized device, then no mountable filesystem). The green LED flashed briefly.

I run spectool_gtk as root from the xterm (until I get a sudo script). I select open device. Sometimes it doesn't see it, but it will either lock here or it will start up when I press enable (the green light will go on).

I'm looking into it.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Ok, so I got host mode, I got spectool_gtk loaded... But it won't run.. I try and make it executable (chmod +x...) and it doesn't give me an error or anything, it should have worked, but when I ls -l i see that it is still read only..

Help??