Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
A big question as to what happens with maemo.org depends on how well MeeGo can/will run on N8x0 and N900.

If "not well at all", then there's a big question for the Maemo community as to who and how the downloads and repositories of maemo.org will be maintained; as Nokia have said the maemo.org contributors will continue to be paid contributors, but the expectation is surely they'll be more involved on the MeeGo side.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by X-Fade View Post
Current setup is such that it is a very much closed system where one can't even find out who does what.
Let me try to start fixing this problem tonight.

The MeeGo launch represents a big change for everybody, including the guys that have been running the server infra. No obscurantism on purpose or bad intentions.

About a place to discuss the forum, the canonical place should be meego-community but I think it's worth making the maemo.org round first here. At the end Talk is what gets the highest impact and if don't agree on a minimum here we will even agree less there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Jaffa, we will keep funding community members to address community priorities, whatever they are.

Now please back to MeeGo forum discussion.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I'd say;

1) create a new, blank, from scratch forum over on MeeGo.com,
2) then re-structure the talk.maemo.org site as has been discussed previously and allow it to remain for legacy devices.

I also think, if it has not already been made, something should be put up on the MeeGo site directing the MeeGo users over here to topic threads like this so that 'they' can get involved.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-02-18 at 16:29.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Almost everything seems good, but I'm against the accounts migration if this forum still exists, some people probably don't want to have a account a meego.org(tablet users) and will be pissed, like I was when google decided to automatically create a 'buzz' account for me

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Let me try to start fixing this problem tonight.
http://wiki.meego.com/Who%27s_who

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
just start everything from scratch on meego forum
the users who are serious about the future will go and sign up, the ones with 3 posts who just want to complain about harmattan on n900 will not even notice, which might be good thing

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Almost everything seems good, but I'm against the accounts migration if this forum still exists, some people probably don't want to have a account a meego.org(tablet users) and will be pissed, like I was when google decided to automatically create a 'buzz' account for me
As long as open-id works, you can automatically create an account on the new site by using your old one. And have your data brought over at the same time. That is would seem the nicest way for me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
I have two opinions I'd like to share. Well, I have lots, but two for this post.

1) Do not create two seperate, independent forums for maemo up to N900 and meego up from N900. You will lose users and developers in the process.

Reason: you lift the bar for people to start being active/contribute on the new project evolution. In other words, people that you have already caught the interest of, needs to be caught again. Instead extend the domain so that developers and users who started to be active "here" when they got their 770s, are not left behind but included in the participating mass. Okay, the noise will increase on a bigger community but that's easily fixed with filters.

2) Do not create two seperate, independent forums for maemo up to N900 and meego up from N900. You will lose momentum.

Reason:
The GUI, domain name and forum motor isn't as important as the fact that they need to split their interests over several forums. Remember that people also have other stuffs that interest them, and most people do not want to be a member on 937 different forums. They want to be a member of the two-three best. When people move over from Maemo to Meego, this place will lose some of it's key personalities and developers. And when the new forum starts from scratch, well, key personalities and developers doesn't even exist there. So both sites will lose.

I am sure Orangebox will create a new account there. But I will not. And while I'm not important, I'm sure I am not the only person on the net who doesn't come running yelling wheeeeee every time someone opens a new site. There are lots of sites. There are even lots of interesting opensource project sites that really deserves our attention.

Wait, I guess that was just one opinion sold in two different pitches. Well, let me tell you what you need to bring me and possibly other users/developers from this place to the next one as you can.

Single Sign On.

It is more important than anything else if you want my kind of people to follow from this site to the other one. Personally I would love to vote on brainstorms. But I do not because I will not create another user account. I have bugs to report and suggestions to how to improve them - it's part of my daytime job to create fix bugs - but I will not create a new account for bugzilla. I would love to vote on programs and ideas. I would write reviews and I would submit GUI prototypes and I would verbally abuse correct the forum celebrities when they are being unreasonably hostile to the innocent (but often angry) newcomers just because they remind them of the previous 999 newcomers that were angry for the same (usually valid) reason.

But I will do neither of these things if I have to have two seperate accounts with two seperate logins. Creating an account on the Meego forum strikes me as something I should not have to do. So I wont. Unless I come up with as good a reason as the first time I created one here. And that only ever happen when I want some information that searching fails to provide.

Once I am in, I stick my nose in lots of places it does not belong. But until that happens... I'm a hard sell.

As is everyone else who has internet experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
However, opt-in migration should be offered. We are talking about 34000 people (not the forum) to possibly be migrated?

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following User Says Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego