Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
I just got my Eye-fi Geo (2GB) card yesterday and had a little bit of fun with it already, when a thought striked me: the Eye-fi card would be an excellent photographer companion, together with the N900.

Imagine, you are on the field, snapping away your photos happily, but the 2 GB card fills up quickly. If you have your N900 with you, your camera could (even continously) unload the pictures to the 20+ GB storage available on your Maemo machine.

You could review it on the amazing 800x480 screen, you could upload previews to the Net and you would already have a better chance of seeing some blurred/bad photos than on the LCD of the camera.

Currently, this is done on some kind of netbook - but that's not the ideal option.

Question: how can this be working? The Eye-fi card uses wi-fi to upload pictures to a PC/Mac.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The N900 has a decent 5 MP camera of its own and good integration with online photo services like Flickr. I usually forgo carrying around a dedicated pocket digicam.

For more serious photography, I have a Nikon D80, a backpack full of lenses, and an Eye-fi card which I use with a Sprint MiFi. This is what I use for covering events in semi real time.

If I have more time on my hands, I dump my photos to my Lenovo X300 and play around with them in lightroom. When you are carry a bag full of lenses anyways, it doesn't add much to the weight.

Joikuspot, which turns a phone into a WiFi Hotspot is currently in beta for the N900. This would at least let you upload photos from your digicam via your N900's 3g connection. There have been some efforts to create tools for managing and configuring the Eye-fi card on Linux here and here. These tools might let you auto-upload pictures from a separate digicam to you N900 for previewing, culling and eventual uploading to the internet. My personal feeling is that the N900 just makes a poor device for this sort of task, however. A better choice for in the field previewing of pictures would be a N800 which has full sized SDHC slots, a bigger screen and a decent range of photo apps already available. I did this on several trips where I was trying to travel light but found it too cumbersome and found it better to just use a netbook or ultralight laptop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
why do you need Eye-fi with n900 ??
If you need wifi, n900 comes with builtin wifi
if you have data plan, n900 can send the picture using your data plan.

so i dont see the needs to have eye-fi with n900 since the phone could transfer the data for you.

Hints: Google mail have huge storage that you could use.

Please re-read the original post...