Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
So, as usual with Maemo, we have a problem. It would seem that, based on the published specifications for the N900, the next device does not support any AT&T 3G bands, and is limited to only T-Mobile 3G support.

There are two problems with this:

First, it means that Nokia has chosen to only support the major US carrier with the worst cellular coverage (T-Mobile 3G coverage is practically non-existent where I live) and, in particular, the worst 3G coverage.*

Second, it means that those of us who are stuck on AT&T plans (2 iPhones on my plan) have no option but to cope with EDGE (not very likely considering how much emphasis Nokia has placed on 3G connectivity in Fremantle) or switch to a new T-Mobile plan (for significantly more money a month) and wish fervently for T-Mobile to put up more towers in our area.

Basically, my question (or plea, at this point) is whether the specs posted are accurate and final (and I'm screwed) or if there's the chance that we will see AT&T 3G support in another variant or new device? If not, this may very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my and my relationship with this platform goes.

*The cynical side of me (Nokia has done a really good job of encouraging my cynical side. . . .) says this was a requirement from T-Mobile to carry the phone.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
It just seems so short-sighted to me that they would limit the hardware in that way by omitting the AT&T band. I am wondering if it has support for AT&T 3G, but they just didn't list that in the published specs.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Off topic - I have noticed that you've been openly disapproving of Maemo lately - a real departure from not even a year ago. Sorry to see that, GA.

On topic - Canadians may be in the same boat, as Rogers and AT+T I think use the same 3G frequencies.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Nokia will release a NAM model for the US, Mexico, Central and South America, and Canada. However, the cost associated with only having AWS and no other frequencies implies a TMobileUSA exclusive for a specified time. This doesn't mean you won't be able to get one for at&t, just you'll have to wait a few months or a year (?) or more for the NAM model to be released, and if Tmo has an exclusive, you'll be forced to buy it unlocked for at&t via an importer from Canada or Mexico.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
So, as usual with Maemo, we have a problem. It would seem that, based on the published specifications for the N900, the next device does not support any AT&T 3G bands, and is limited to only T-Mobile 3G support.

There are two problems with this:

First, it means that Nokia has chosen to only support the major US carrier with the worst cellular coverage (T-Mobile 3G coverage is practically non-existent where I live) and, in particular, the worst 3G coverage.*

Second, it means that those of us who are stuck on AT&T plans (2 iPhones on my plan) have no option but to cope with EDGE (not very likely considering how much emphasis Nokia has placed on 3G connectivity in Fremantle) or switch to a new T-Mobile plan (for significantly more money a month) and wish fervently for T-Mobile to put up more towers in our area.

Basically, my question (or plea, at this point) is whether the specs posted are accurate and final (and I'm screwed) or if there's the chance that we will see AT&T 3G support in another variant or new device? If not, this may very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my and my relationship with this platform goes.

*The cynical side of me (Nokia has done a really good job of encouraging my cynical side. . . .) says this was a requirement from T-Mobile to carry the phone.
I thought T-mobile had $25 unlimited text and data plan. Please correct me if i am wrong. If that is true it is 5$ less than the iphone plan.

Coming to you already having 2 iphones..... well you had the advantage of getting the iphone by signing a contract. So i guess it is now the advantage to the t-mobile users. I am sorry that your area doesnt have t-mobile 3g.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Off topic - I have noticed that you've been openly disapproving of Maemo lately - a real departure from not even a year ago. Sorry to see that, GA.

On topic - Canadians may be in the same boat, as Rogers and AT+T I think use the same 3G frequencies.
Rogers appears to use T-Mobile's frequencies here in Canada.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
TMobile's 3G has been coming online very quickly, and since Nokia Seimens is building most of the network, maybe Nokia knows it'll have a new, widespread network and a selling point for iphone data probs

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
This doesn't mean you won't be able to get one for at&t, just you'll have to wait a few months or a year (?) or more for the NAM model to be released, and if Tmo has an exclusive, you'll be forced to buy it unlocked for at&t via an importer from Canada or Mexico.
Waiting a few months to a year, will, unfortunately, exhaust all of what remains of my enthusiasm for Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I thought T-mobile had $25 unlimited text and data plan. Please correct me if i am wrong. If that is true it is 5$ less than the iphone plan.
I'm not on an iPhone plan (my data and texting costs $15/mo), but I'm attached to a family plan which has two of them, and I'm not willing to pay a bunch of extra money to switch to an individual T-Mobile plan.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
T-Mobile just informed us of data plans specific to the T-Mobile G1 (these do not include the voice plan). The first plan has unlimited Web, e-mail, and messaging for $35. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail
* Unlimited messaging (text, picture, and IM)
* T-Mobile HotSpot data access

The second plan has unlimited Web and e-mail and 400 messages for $25. This plan includes:

* Unlimited Web
* Unlimited e-mail (unlimited, part of Web/data)
* Unlimited IM on Google Talk
* 400 total messages (text messages, picture messages, non-Google Talk IM)
* T-Mobile HotSpot data access

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post: