Active Topics

The N900 I am using (10.2010.19-1) has some incredible defects:

1) If I send a text message, and the other party replies by text, I get the “beep” signal when their message to me is delivered, but I can’t see their message. I tried re-booting the phone to no avail. I receive regular SMS messages (eg voicemail notifications).

2) When I fly I switch it into offline mode before powering down. When I power up at the destination the phone can’t find any service providers (I use manual selection of providers). I have to put the SIM card into another phone (N95) to restore service.

3) I can’t roam on to some networks in some countries. I have to roam into another network first (which usually has worse coverage) and then manually roam again to get into the first choice network that blocked my login first time.

4) I can’t enter service codes such as **21* to divert calls selectively. This phone blocks all * codes – in breach of the GSM standard.
5) Bluetooth used to work with earlier versions of the software. With the version of software I am using now, I can’t pair with other devices – even Nokia devices.

6) I download audio podcasts, and always want to listen to the newest ones. With this phone one has to go into files > audio clips >file manager > sort > Date (most recent first) every time. It is not refined enough to tell that most recent first is the users choice and should be presented by default until the option is changed.

7) I can’t use WiFi on airplanes because it doesn’t work when the phone is “offline”. I can use other Nokia phones for inflight Wifi (eg N95).

8) The phone refuses to connet to WiFi in some hotels and other public locations – producing an error message, for some reason.

9) The menu navigation doesn't always work properly when one clicks on an icon.

There have been multiple updates of the software but no removal of key bugs as far as I can see. While some people might claim that this is a “nerds Linux phone” designed to make life difficult, most of the problems I outlined above are pure defects to simple functionality that one takes for granted.

This phone is doing a lot of damage to Nokia’s reputation in my books.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
1) you know that the conversations are threaded right? i.e. the reply will be in the same place as the sent message.

2) & 3) sound more like a SIM/network issue than the phone

4) try the Call forwarding app

5) bluetooth works fine for me

6) It is what it is. Not sure how podcasts are handled in Mediabox and KMplayer but you should check these out if you are dissatisfied with stock media player.

7) There is an applet (can't remember the name) to switch the n900 into tablet mode i.e. wifi only

8) & 9) haven't experienced these issues so I can't comment there

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
1) you know that the conversations are threaded right? i.e. the reply will be in the same place as the sent message.
Regardless, if he's not being notified correctly it does sound like a problem, but yeah, that's a workaround.

@mikeallen: Standard prescription, take one of these and come back if the problem doesn't go away.

7) There is an applet (can't remember the name) to switch the n900 into tablet mode i.e. wifi only
Either 'cell-modem-ui' in terminal or 'Cellular Modem Control Buttons' in the application manager.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 312 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ dubai
guys for 8-
its first you go to anyrandom website with the connection connected.
the hotel/hotspot login is gonna come up, and when u logged in,you can use the internet

you should get an iphone n900 is too 'pro' for you

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by mikeallen View Post
The N900
1) If I send a text message, and the other party replies by text, I get the “beep” signal when their message to me is delivered, but I can’t see their message. I
@codemonkey it sounds like the notification is not a problem, he just isn't seeing the message

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

sigh.

Ok. Thanks.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by mikeallen View Post
There have been multiple updates of the software but no removal of key bugs as far as I can see. While some people might claim that this is a “nerds Linux phone” designed to make life difficult, most of the problems I outlined above are pure defects to simple functionality that one takes for granted.

This phone is doing a lot of damage to Nokia’s reputation in my books.
Okay, look.
Your topic is an obvious flamebait. The very fact that you didn't use the search functionality of this forum for finding answers to your questions is also considered a very bad attitude.

I'm serious here: I bought a 3 months old used N900 in february. I haven't seen any serious bugs in Maemo yet. I don't deny their existence: it is just interestingly coincidental that all the people who don't even know how to use their device find all sorts of weird bugs, yet it has worked fine for me always.

I also slide the keyboard in and out several times a day, and it doesn't show any sign of becoming loose, nor do I experience any of the bugs in these whining threads.

As for your questions:
First, reflash your device with PR 1.2 (the eMMC too), then read the posts above mine.
All the information you need is provided here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
4. USSD codes work in PR1.2
8. If it's a problem with a PSK then that is a known bug (which if I rembember correctly will not be fixed). Here's a workaround: go to settings>internet conections>new and then give it a name, scan, and enter the key.

The Following User Says Thank You to 6sicSIX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
@codemonkey it sounds like the notification is not a problem, he just isn't seeing the message
Yep, my dad had the same thing on his N900 when I sent him a message today.

He heard the beep, saw the yellow notification but couldn´t find the message.