Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
tbh am curious how Jolla was ensure piracy doesn't occur. If its just a flashable image I can see it being shared quickly and easily.
I don't think they will go over the top to prevent it, just do enough to make it non-trivial.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Jolla only has to make it easier to pay, and most people will pay. This community has enough technical know-how to dump an image from one device and share it if we want, but I think most people here recognise that it's worth paying to support the company.

As others have mentioned, the 3rd party proprietary packages shipped with official devices (text prediction library, Microsoft exchange support, alien dalvik etc.) are contained in a separate repository. If you're using a community port it's currently possible to add the repository and install these components (although AD won't work because it needs kernel modifications IIRC). It's "not allowed" but it's not impossible either because making it impossible has implications on privacy, takes time and effort, and people would inevitably find a way around it if they wanted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Also for those here in the UK who don't mind a refurbished one their on ebay being sold by envirofone for £129.99 unlocked

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
tbh am curious how Jolla was ensure piracy doesn't occur. If its just a flashable image I can see it being shared quickly and easily.
Since Xperia X has DRM keys, they could use DRM to make it difficult to pirate Alien Dalvik to other devices. Hard to circumvent without breaking other functions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
i got mine from envirophone too, they were decent. tempted to just start a port since the huawei p9 is not doing well

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Also for those here in the UK who don't mind a refurbished one their on ebay being sold by envirofone for £129.99 unlocked
Bear in mind that if any of these refurbished phones started life as O2 or EE and have been subsequently network unlocked and generic software flashed, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Bear in mind that if any of these refurbished phones started life as O2 or EE and have been subsequently network unlocked and generic software flashed, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader.
Ohhh I never knew that. Do networks lock boot-loaders on the phones?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
i'd be happy to have the drm in the installer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Ohhh I never knew that. Do networks lock boot-loaders on the phones?
Always interesting to ask UK seller on Ebay "Is Xperia factory unlocked or network one subsequently unlocked? Could you open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the Service menu then Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says YES"

Learn to avoid sellers whom say it's already reset & packed or it's in a warehouse and can't access it.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
How come the bootloader can no longer be unlocked if the device was simlocked?

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
How come the bootloader can no longer be unlocked if the device was simlocked?
Policies and agreements

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x