Has anyone tried accessing their Gmail account? Looks like they're going to end support for the current version of Gmail in September unless there is an upgrade to a more modern browser.

Is there anything that could be done?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I don't use the current browser based gmail anyway as it is already too slow on the NITs due to all the javascript.

I have gmail setup as an imap account with the inbuilt email client, checking every 5 minutes and it works great for me personally. I still tend to use the full gmail version on a PC every now and then though, like I still use outlook even though I have a blackberry.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

I have and it seems to work pretty alright i'd say. It might have become a tad slower but its almost unnoticeable. You can always use the basic html should you not like the new gmail.

EDIT: My bad I did not see the thread is for Maemo4. I was referring to Maemo5/N900.

Last edited by xuggs; 2010-08-12 at 06:15.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I just noticed this myself today when going to gmail on my N810.
Is this a microB limitation only or does it apply to the other Maemo4 browsers that I, currently, don't use: Opera and Tear?

Would it also be possible to circumvent this by using a different useragent in microB?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Salem, VA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I just noticed this myself today when going to gmail on my N810.
Is this a microB limitation only or does it apply to the other Maemo4 browsers that I, currently, don't use: Opera and Tear?
Using N800 / Diablo & I'm seeing the "ending support" message when using microb but not when using Tear.

The Following User Says Thank You to russell_t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by russell_t View Post
Using N800 / Diablo & I'm seeing the "ending support" message when using microb but not when using Tear.
Thanks, sigh, I'd really hate having to use Tear.
I'll play with some useragent settings and see if I can get that to work.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
Use Opera Mobile. It's awesome and kills microb in almost every way.
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Use Opera and html version of gmail. Works perfect.

i use opera and i get the basic html version of gmail and the message that this version won't work in september.
hope opera guys will fix that.
i use microb with hide user agent and firefox settings

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jean2323 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
There is no any message about new gmail and old browsers in Russian version of gmail.