Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
So, I finally caved and got myself a 770. On eBay, new but about 100 euros cheaper than shop-bought.

I've been overtly critical about the 770 on this forum before, but I have to say that my first experience with it (lasting about 15 minutes sofar, the battery was low on arrival) was above expectation: the screen is absolutely gorgeous and surfing is surprisingly nippy, even with 2 windows open. The sound from the speaker was tinny, but actually better than I had feared and with headphones it was perfectly acceptable. No reboots at all in those 15 minutes.

More later.

Welcome!
I hope you like it as much as we all do here ;-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Okay, just a few points:
- Iīm actually typing this on a Bluetooth keyboard I hooked up to the 770 less than five minutes ago! Itīs a Think Outside one with a German layout and I donīt know what those smart developer dude guys have done, but simply selecting ThinkOutside English layout gave me a German layout automagically. Also the bug about the sreen going blank with a keyboard seems to have gone away.

In fairness, a keyboard is not simply a luxury, as the built-in HWR does indeed blow serious chunks. At first I thought it might have been a tweaked version of Decuma Alphabetic, which I run on my Sony Ericsson P910i, but it way too braindead to be Decuma-based.

Weak points sofar: Well... itīs slower than my desktop And I canīt seem to find a question mark on the keyboard, so I better stay very assertive.

I will tell you that you really should go ahead and check the OS version and if it is not the newest version, you should install it. It will dramatically improve anything you are doing, over the prior OS version. You may already have the latest version, if you bought it on eBay, but you should check. HTH.

Originally Posted by michaelalanjones
I will tell you that you really should go ahead and check the OS version and if it is not the newest version, you should install it. It will dramatically improve anything you are doing, over the prior OS version. You may already have the latest version, if you bought it on eBay, but you should check. HTH.
It says: 3.2005.51-13. I think that's the latest version, right?

Anyway, it feels smooth enough. Then again, I'm not trying any funny stuff -- yet. For now, it will be used as an Internet appliance "pur sang".

Of course, I'm having plans to root-flash it, install wordprocessors, spreadsheets and nuclear power plant control programmes -- but not yet. I'm having too much fun just using the gizmo for surfing.

Which reminds me: I think it is "RemoteUser" who keeps the flame alight for the 770 as a wireless X-terminal device or whatnot. For laughs I tried to connect to a couple of those online wordprocessors and office programmes; I write "tried", because that's exactly the result I got: the 770 apparently lacks something to get those sites working.

Well, I'm off, hunting eBay for a 1 gig RS-MMC card that does not come from Hong Kong.

Another day, another observation (I do so hope this is not turning into another "live blog", because we all know where that leads):

I've been using the 770 (it's now called "Jazzbox", but not for obvious reasons, I might explain one day) all evening from the couch, as apparently it was intended by Nokia to be used, and I find that the battery life has been grossly underestimated by Nokia: after almost three hours of use, the battery level was still about halfway up! Even my SimPad would have given in by then.

Did I mention no hangups or spontaneous reboots? Well, there were none of those and the nippiness of the Jazzbox has not gone away either. This is turning out to be one good buy.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The battery life is not that underestimated. If you use some online radio, you will get to the estimated time

Yea, but if you listen audioplayer, it lasts forever, from 9am to 6pm with one bar gone for me.Well, with some small breaks

Last edited by Element; 2006-03-28 at 11:59.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Karel,

A few tips from my experiences. Setup a 'favourite' for your home connection but in the advanced settings set the radio to 10mw instead of 100mw. Less juice drained from the battery, at least it appears so. Could just be voodoo magic. Less range, but for home it shouldn't be too bad. I also noticed that leaving it in standby mode overnight will drain the battery if it's in normal mode. If you're not online, always put it into offline mode (tap the power button and a menu will come up).

Hedge - I think the WiFi turns off after a user-option amount of minutes. Isn't that the same as being offline in terms of battery life?

I have also noticed a lot of X-terminal usage is a big drain. Maybe because that app is such a memory hog?

And of course, display settings have a huge impact.