In the press conference, they mentioned this as a "great new way" for doing text input. And in fact - many of us have complained about the current on-screen keyboard and HWR being bad, so I ask of you:

Does anyone know what this will look like?
Anyone have pics?
Will it be as good as they say?

Any thoughts, ideas?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you squint you can kind of see it when he showed it to the audience. Looked like the text input area is up top and the keys below.

Personally, I don't want my grubby fingers smudging all over the screen. I've gotten up to about 35wpm tappity-tap style, so. I'll stick with that.

Originally Posted by ziggamon
In the press conference, they mentioned this as a "great new way" for doing text input. And in fact - many of us have complained about the current on-screen keyboard and HWR being bad, so I ask of you:

Does anyone know what this will look like?
Anyone have pics?
Will it be as good as they say?

Any thoughts, ideas?

Image from:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/177

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
To be honest, I'm quite disappointed that this "finger keyboard" is in fact not some sort of clip on/cover-attached fold-out hardware keyboard accessory!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Exeter, UK
My spidey-senses are tingling: that may be a shot of the interface, but the shot has been photoshopped onto the image

Originally Posted by andygates
My spidey-senses are tingling: that may be a shot of the interface, but the shot has been photoshopped onto the image
How do you know?

You guys will probably laugh to my question but,
I will ask anyways...
HOW DO I TURN ON FULLSCREEN KEYBOARD ??

Control Panel -> Text input settings

Then under the Finger tab you have some options. You can launch it by using the button in the middle of the d-pad (known as the rocker key) or by touching the screen, or both.

Best to play and work out what works best for you.

- Neil.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Press your thumb against the plate^Wscreen.

Sorry, wandered off in to Back To The Future part 2-land, there.

It detects the large area pressing over a text field and starts the full screen keyboard. Annoyingly there's a bit of a lag to bring it up, IME.

HTH,

Andrew

Finally
Thanks for your help guys. One more question though, when in the fullscreen keyboard mode, the predictive text kinda highlights the prediction but I couldn't figure out how to select the prediction and pass alond the other word?
I maybe couldn't tell what I exactly wanted to do...
If you right for example "green" when you type "gr" it brings you "een" as highlighted but I couldn't find a way to accept that prediction and pass along (in fullscreen mode)
Thanks in advance.