Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
The N900 doesn't provide any encryption features as do the E-Series or most Blackberries. Also, I doubt that any serious company would allow a worker to use a personal phone on the corporate network, and corporate email.

Either way, you shouldn't be using your N900 for work. It was never advertised as a corporate-capable phone, and neither should you have assumed it. MfE works fine from what I can tell.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Yet ANOTHER reason why I prefer even just a KIOSK in the mall, if not a store, for Nokia and a place to return things with a face and a physical presence. What a raw freaking deal. Especially in the US.

Maybe Nokia was just hoping you would wait around for them to get that feature working, despite advertising? Wouldn't be the first time expectations were raised to make us wait and wait...sometimes never delivering. :P Worse still, if you (and Nokia by implication, if they advertised the Outlook integration) were hoping for this to be used in a corporation, the appallingly bad customer service and support is a killer reason NOT to use a Nokia N900 for a company.
MfE works for many-- just not those who depend on Exchange provisioning.

Guber99's decision to move on will lower the spam quotient of at least one thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
The N900 doesn't provide any encryption features as do the E-Series or most Blackberries. Also, I doubt that any serious company would allow a worker to use a personal phone on the corporate network, and corporate email.
Gotta disagree here. Linux is as bulletproof as it gets. A phone based on it, they'd kill for a phone that was that capable and should be able to fit into an organization as well as the N900 possibly could and not have to customize their MS Exchange settings.

Simply put, as an MS Exchange admin, but stuck with MS Exchange 2003 and not 2007, the initial release of the N900 was a disappointment. Viewing Guber99's troubles with PR1.1 has deepened those worries for me.

You'd think that a N-class item, Maemo based or not would slot itself into the same position that Blackberry, WinMo and even the Apple iPhone (which we now support too at a few sites) would be just fine in that kind of company. It's close... but not quite yet there.

But as far as serious companies go; they sort that out, I'd push for it to be in the hands of the more savvy users in a second. Less to worry about, if it were done right.

Either way, you shouldn't be using your N900 for work.
Then use it for what? I'm genuinely curious here.

It was never advertised as a corporate-capable phone, and neither should you have assumed it. MfE works fine from what I can tell.
This makes me curious too. What do you think the N900 should be billed as? A full Linux distro, a full-blown browser, a "portable computer"... that sounds more corporate that most other phones imho. But I'm just curious what you think.

Thanks in advance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I thought that in the great M4E thread that provisioning was mentioned as one of those features that wouldn't be supported (or something like that).

I would agree that it sucks for the OP, but something in me says that one should check the Exchange requirements before dropping a half a grand on a device - and that's any device. The fact that its a Nokia device doesn't make it equal to previous devices - in fact, because it is different, questions about requirements should have been asked and/or better detailed before the purchase.

Speaking as one who is willingly not submitting to corporate Exchange on his personal device - freedom is lovely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I can see both sides of this, but I have to go with CrashandDie on that N- prefix. As long as Nokia's old market segments and designations persist, it takes an E- to make it "corporate" (and possibly to get a stronger internal push for enterprise features like Exchange provisioning). Yes, as a mobile computer the N900 can get around many of the usual channel limitations, but it's still not quite ready for Blackberry land. I wish it was...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
I guess N900 was made for teenagers and people without real jobs. Any serious company requires provisioning on their devices. With regards to reading the specs, show me where N900 advertised that no provisioning is provided? I wish you stated facts rather than half truths.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
hmmmm...

I use my N900 at work.... Got exchange working fine, SSH, vnc all working fine, use the tv out for some presentations...
Texting / emailing and calling works just fine... and at lunch i can sit down and watch some tv.... - would like to see my e71 and e63 do all of those well

The N900 is a mix and match, it can't do everything all of the time out of the box, but if you give it patience and ask politely to the people who can.... things just end up working out fine

(Ie MMS, frals is doing a great job and nokia are stepping in to help him out).... if you dont ask you don't get.... if you cant' be assed to wait you won't get, and if you ask rudely, texrat will rib you until you politely leave the forums! hehehe
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Nonprovisioning is a known issue with N900. Many, many individuals with real jobs and real companies that require provisioning have complained about not being able to sync with their servers. There are however plenty of Nokia apologizers who are happy with what they got. For me corporate email is must, and iphone 3GS works great

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
Nonprovisioning is a known issue with N900. Many, many individuals with real jobs and real companies that require provisioning have complained about not being able to sync with their servers. There are however plenty of Nokia apologizers who are happy with what they got. For me corporate email is must, and iphone 3GS works great
Not sureyou quite grasped my meaning...

Whinging and whining and being obnoxious.... ok well argumentative doesnt always help....

Yes the solution may not be here now, finding out if it is at all possible first then helping the people who can code and speak to nokia etc should be your main goal if you are willing to help out.

If the phone can not do it now, no point complaining over it.... it can't do it. Nokia may loose customers over it.... pretty sure they are aware of that. But that's their choice.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
The iPhone 3GS works only with certain types of provisioning (there's 29 separate provisioning requirements that can be set), so you're lucky that works ("Real companies" would require all 29). The earlier iPhones worked with even fewer (if any) but lied about it, so I'd be very wary about trusting any iPhones on the network anyway.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
activesync, exchange, expectations, fremantle, give 'em hell guber99, i dreamed a dream, maemo, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, non-provisionable, non-provisioning, provisionable, provisioning, return