Poll: Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?
Poll Options
Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Tizen is a must!(if the other OSes gets their own areas, that is) I don't want a device but I want to discuss them.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-23 at 19:44.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by thedead1440
Well if you listen to AMD for anything then you need to think again
I hate you.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
He certainly has a point. And i think not just one.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Given the amount of maemo devices available for purchase and the number future devices, I think the domain name is perfect to consider any other OS as equal citizen
XDA was also a very specific name about some old device (02 XDA), and it certainly isn't an issue for the other devices targeted by the forum.
So I vote for keeping the domain name (as long as we can).
But I also support the addition of sub forums for the new platforms. If they don't deliver, we don't have much to loose, but if Linux/Qt phones go anywhere, I think we should try to be an important part of it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
A lot of people will appear soon who don't know or care about Maemo, and neither about Harmattan, but are interested in new platforms like Sailfish or Plasma Active.
Why would they come here? I don't see any reason why TMO would become the obvious place for discussion of these platforms. Plasma Active is part of the KDE project. It has sweet FA to do with Maemo. If I wanted to talk mostly about Plasma Active, I would go elsewhere, which is probably what most others will do. I can maybe see more of an argument for Sailfish, but Jolla haven't shown any interest in TMO, and seem to be encouraging people to use XDA.

If talk.maemo.org is to become talk.any_device_with_qt.org, then what is the point of it's existence? This place has a strong identity. It's what separates it from the many other tech forums. I'm not actually against having additional subforums if/when those platforms deliver the goods, but I get annoyed when I see people (not necessarily in this thread) declaring that 'Jolla is the future', and that we should 'leave Maemo behind and move on' (I'm paraphrasing here). As I said in my last post, there were very similar comments regarding MeeGo 18 months ago. People were being encouraged to leave crusty old maemo.org and head over to the shiny new meego.com. That plan didn't work out too well.

I'm just tired of seeing people obsess over what might be coming next when we already have some great devices with a great platform running on them. Shouldn't we be focusing on making those devices the best that they can be, instead of just looking forward to the next shiny?

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Either you expect them or not - they will come. At least that's what I think, since Mer derivatives never made any collective community forum so far, and Meego forum died (basically). Since Maemo -> Meego -> Mer evolution is known, people would expect to find some relation to this all in this forum. And reasonably so.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I'm just tired of seeing people obsess over what might be coming next when we already have some great devices with a great platform running on them. Shouldn't we be focusing on making those devices the best that they can be, instead of just looking forward to the next shiny?
Devices which aren't officially sold anymore (or almost not)? You sound elitist saying that one shouldn't care about current developments. I think one should. And don't forget - new users don't necessarily have the same history as you (i.e. some aren't using Maemo or Harmattan). You can stick with Maemo as much as you want - no one is forcing you to suddenly dump it. What's proposed is to enable the forum for discussions about recent platforms and developments as well. You can avoid them if you don't care and to stick to Maemo section. But I see no reason to prevent creating other ones just because some aren't interested yet. Others are and will be.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-24 at 00:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
This is getting out of hand. How about one of the admins come and see what they think?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
As I said in my last post, there were very similar comments regarding MeeGo 18 months ago. People were being encouraged to leave crusty old maemo.org and head over to the shiny new meego.com. That plan didn't work out too well.
Why would people have been saying that. It was well known that the whole thing's longer-term prospects were very shaky, long before the the 1st bridge device (N9) was out.
I don't think many people would've been saying that at all... Sure the occasional uninformed person, but far from the majority.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-24 at 05:33. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
@ivgalvez: So you think it should be done only after the domain change? I worry that Sailfish will arrive before that, and it will contribute to the current mess on the forum. What is the problem with restructuring already now?
No, these are two different topics.

In one side we have the proposal to include new OS and devices in our forums with their own subsection. Right now there is not enough material about Mer / Sailfish, but it's clear that they will be adopted by some of our members as the new iteration after Meego Harmattan.

Changing the Forums name or domain is a tricky question, that would imply that external references to forum threads wouldn't work. Actually I'm not completely decided what would be my position about this topic.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Changing the Forums name or domain is a tricky question, that would imply that external references to forum threads wouldn't work. Actually I'm not completely decided what would be my position about this topic.
I'd never suggest ditching maemo.org completely, that would be impractical...
All older content could/would still be obtainable via x.maemo.org, if it was decided that domain change was more ideal than site_name or no change.
But yeah, tis all beyond the scope of this thread, and still too early to begin discussing/assessing in depth.