Active Topics

Poll: Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?
Poll Options
Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
My N800 is for the last 3+ weeks in the nokia service.
I managed to get someone on the phone today and I was told that my "phone" (he actually repeated this several times in a 3 minute conversion) will need to have its screen exchanged and they are expecting the needed parts.
He concluded that they will need minimum 10 more days!

Well, the story continues. Evidently someone on here (thank you, whoever you are) put the Executive Support folks on my case. And last Wednesday they called, and faxed me an affadavit to sign and fax back. Of course I was a little miffed that they misspelled my name, referred to me as "her" and had filled in the date as 2006. I faxed it back the same day, and they said they'd be shipping me a new unit shortly.

Today I got the new unit via FedEx. However, I was a little concerned that it came wrapped in a baggie with the camera sticking out. IOW, it wasn't a boxed unit, and no idea if it was new or not. So went to open it to make sure nothing was broken AND...

No battery or internal SD card. Which means I have a new unit that may or may not work, but won't know until I can get them to at least ship me a new battery. Now, I had shipped mine with the battery and the internal SD card they sent because "I" didn't know if those were part of the problem or not. Considering that the unit won't run without a battery, I would think they might realize most folks would ship it back with the battery in place. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the internal SD card (though since I sent mine in, that means I'm out one), but the battery?

I'd like to report a happy ending. I really would have liked to have reported that there would have at least been a note with an apology (if not some free swag like Amazon used to give when they screwed up). But to ship an N800 in a baggie in a manner that it can't even be tested to see if it was ok...

Hopefully I still have the Exec support number at work. I'll call them and give them another (!) chance to make things right. But this is certainly not adding anything to their "sterling" reputation...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm glad there was at least some resolution to your issue! It's my understanding there is a renewed emphasis on fixing customer service. Cases like yours have proven the need. Your diligence has no doubt helped many others!

But I will repeat: ONLY send the stripped down device for repair. No battery. No back cover. No SD cards. Strip and ship! Trust me: they can troubleshoot without them, and if the device works without your own battery, then you know where the problem lay.

Oh, and I'm personally trying to use the generic term "device" as much as possible.

My n800 arrived at the repair facility five weeks ago (April 10) via express mail. On May 1, the website recorded the status as "recieved." On May 2, it said "Awaiting Parts." It still says the same thing.
1. Shouldn't they have the parts at the repair center, saying that it is a NOKIA REPAIR CENTER?
2.Since when does it take two weeks to ship something?
When I call Nokia, they tell me that I cannot speak with a repair escalation person because they claim that I was lying about it getting there on the 10th. Come June 1, I'm calling and demanding a full refund. I can be on the phone for five hours for all I care. Somewhere in that company there is a huge, unrecgonized problem that nobody wants to address. If they will not fix my unit in "7-10 days" they should not promise me that my unit will be fixed in "7-10 days." They have three options:
-Fix my unit before June 1.
-Give me a full refund of $400.
-Be contacted by my lawyer.

It should be interesting......

Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
I feel your pain. Rather literally. However, unless you happen to be independently wealthy, or your lawyer is a relative willing to work pro bono, you probably don't want to go with that option.

First, since the device costs less than $1000 you're looking (in most locales) at small claims court - and there you aren't supposed to have an attorney. Odds are Nokia won't even show up if you pursue a claim, but then it's up to you to collect. Which really doesn't put you in any better position than you are now.

Second, if your state attorney general's office is anything like mine, they will be happy to record your complaint and be willing to be cc'd on any correspondence. But unless you can find several other folks in your state willing to sign the same complaint, they aren't going to prosecute.

Best option, as you've already noted, is to be tenacious, make sure you've documented every step of the way, and be willing to hang in there while folks try to shuttle you around so you aren't THEIR problem.

Good luck!

damn, i spent 2.5 hours reading this thread (i go slow).

since i bought my unit via nokia.com last week, and since i notice all of the issues as well, i take it it's a feature not a defect.

the problem with companies and defective products is the cost of repair. they probably continue selling the units even the ones with suspected issues. its a matter of degree. cheaper to deal with it only if someone complains. hopefully customer won't return it.

i will try to see if i can live with it. i bought Fellowes WriteRight Screen Protectors, but seems like n800 won't work with it... what is the expected life of the unit anyways? i hear that using the stylus will wear it out? how soon?

Yeah, I know. That's why I made it the last resort. I'm planning to sell the tablet anyway if I ever get it back, the main thing is that I want my money back. If for some reason they try to avoid that, the law will intervene to fix that.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
My n800 arrived at the repair facility five weeks ago (April 10) via express mail. On May 1, the website recorded the status as "recieved." On May 2, it said "Awaiting Parts." It still says the same thing.
1. Shouldn't they have the parts at the repair center, saying that it is a NOKIA REPAIR CENTER?
2.Since when does it take two weeks to ship something?
When I call Nokia, they tell me that I cannot speak with a repair escalation person because they claim that I was lying about it getting there on the 10th. Come June 1, I'm calling and demanding a full refund. I can be on the phone for five hours for all I care. Somewhere in that company there is a huge, unrecgonized problem that nobody wants to address. If they will not fix my unit in "7-10 days" they should not promise me that my unit will be fixed in "7-10 days." They have three options:
-Fix my unit before June 1.
-Give me a full refund of $400.

It should be interesting......
1. As I related previously, actual repair has been outsourced.

2. I can't address the first part. However, as I noted in another thread under General, experiences like yours are being recognized, and the process is being reviewed.

Yeah, I know that it's been outsourced. But if there is such a huge problem with them getting other companies to repair Nokia devices, is it a good idea? Sure, it keeps a few extra dollars in the company's pocket, but it also makes many customers move away from Nokia. Something is wrong with their current system. There's a huge problem and if it's not fixed, it will only grow larger.

Again for those who have not visited the other thread on this I have posted a picture of what mine looks like here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...8955#post48955