Active Topics

I would expect that the AD package itself is built from parts of the android source tree for the device in question. You don't have the source for the AD package so unless you're awesome at binary patching I'm not sure you will have much luck in your quest.

Also, the AD package from Jolla C is Android 4.4.4 where as the android for FP2 is 5.1, this is also likely to cause you issues.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
I would expect that the AD package itself is built from parts of the android source tree for the device in question. You don't have the source for the AD package so unless you're awesome at binary patching I'm not sure you will have much luck in your quest.

Also, the AD package from Jolla C is Android 4.4.4 where as the android for FP2 is 5.1, this is also likely to cause you issues.
Jolla C / Intex has 2 Androids: 5.1 as HAL and 4.4.4 as Dalvik.
FP2 has also 5.1 as HAL, if there exist an Alien Dalvik for FP2 - it will be also 4.4.4, the same like on Jolla C.
The main problem is the different kernel version, i think....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by explit View Post
Jolla C / Intex has 2 Androids: 5.1 as HAL and 4.4.4 as Dalvik.
FP2 has also 5.1 as HAL, if there exist an Alien Dalvik for FP2 - it will be also 4.4.4, the same like on Jolla C.
The main problem is the different kernel version, i think....
The difference is not only kernel, as I explained before, it's HW adaptation. For example, two device uses different SoC, the RF control even gps, BT control needs to be re-written. Or maybe easier, they use different camera module, so the camera control on one device will be different than another. This is system level tuning not apps working with API.

Unless two device shares same PCB, otherwise we have no chance here.

We could stop wasting time trying to copy one AD to another, it's like using another ROM from a different device. Just tuning ROM won't make it work for other device. Given a clear example, Xperia Z3 and Z3C clearly have same kernal, android version and even the same brand, same SoC, they can't share ROM. (And yes, AD here works like a ROM, not app.)

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2016-08-23 at 17:53.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
A interesting question is

Would it be easier to replace Aliendalvik with sfdroid in the future? Or is that project doomed cause of lack of manpower to get it really working on most interesting devices such in my case fairphone2?

What I mean is all apps must be possible to install that include google play apps compability.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
A interesting question is

Would it be easier to replace Aliendalvik with sfdroid in the future? Or is that project doomed cause of lack of manpower to get it really working on most interesting devices such in my case fairphone2?

What I mean is all apps must be possible to install that include google play apps compability.
What the SFDroid guys have working is a whole Cyanogenmod environment running alongside sailfish, the problem in this case is not whether apps install and work but the fact that it needs a shitload of ram to do its thing.

That and the integration with the sailfish side is minimal, so its like running android in a VM more than something integrated like Alien-Dalvik

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post: