Notices

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Screenshots
Attached Images

qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
Why a new app: I really liked your DC and wanted to create something like it for more than just maemo. I know DC is python and so can probably run on more platforms than I could manage with just QT. Nevertheless, I think the competition will be good healthy fun.

Why not contribute to DC? : Of course I can... and I most probably will once I figure out how to do things - but I'm not a python coder and even though it has been fairly easy to learn it, I prefer to use the language of my choice - C++ and Qt.
Yeah but I'm getting spread thin and have really been hoping for someone to help develop or even take over maintainership of some of my applications.

Auto-accept: I know this problem - I've hit it last week. I'm hoping my experiments using telepathy-qt4 will help me solve it. If I do, I'll try making the python code as well. My code is also up for review.
At my day job I code in C++ all day and I'm slowly porting my Python projects to Qt. So don't worry about porting an example. I can probably look at what you get when you are done.

Why faster: I cache some information - which means I have lesser network traffic - which should mean faster performance.
I don't cache things between runs of the application but once something is downloaded, I don't re-download unless the user requests it.

I decided not to cache things between runs because I was concerned about user perception. If they launch it, they would probably expect things to at least be up to date as of the launch and would get confused if the data is stale.

I figured/hoped that they would understand the concept of refreshing things once loaded.

Screenshots
Huh, that UI seems very familiar.

Oh and about Voicemail support. With TOR I added to my GV API the ability to get the voicemail. I've been planning to make it so that Maemo would ask you to download the voicemail if you've gotten one. Contemplating this for DC what I would probably do is add a "Play" and "Save" button to the window that opens when you click a voicemail. I would hope I could have GStream stream directly from the GV site but unsure about permissions. I've been busy with some other audio apps and my Qt ports to work on this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
I'm a bit new to userland programming - most of my work has been drivers or bootloaders and my experience with user code have generally been harrowing - with the exception of QT.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
I don't cache things between runs of the application but once something is downloaded, I don't re-download unless the user requests it.
Ditto. Which means I need to modify my claim that qgvdial is faster.
Unless otherwise proven, qgvdial should be at least as fast as DC.

Huh, that UI seems very familiar.
I learnt from the best.

Oh and about Voicemail support. With TOR I added to my GV API the ability to get the voicemail. I've been planning to make it so that Maemo would ask you to download the voicemail if you've gotten one. Contemplating this for DC what I would probably do is add a "Play" and "Save" button to the window that opens when you click a voicemail. I would hope I could have GStream stream directly from the GV site but unsure about permissions. I've been busy with some other audio apps and my Qt ports to work on this.
Voicemail is easy - GV site play link returns mp3 data (after a temporarily moved error). Save to a file and play it. Found this out the easy way - from the n900 browser if I click play, it asks to save an mp3.
Playing it directly didn't work for me through the media player nor through qtm-mediaplayer.

Since qtm-multimedia uses gstreamer as backend, it should be possible to add the gstream play to DC.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Unfortunately, this app cannot be run on n810 - it depends on QT 4.6 and the qt mobility framework - which are atm only available on the N900
Bummer, I will not be holding my breath waiting for QT 4.6 and the qt mobility framework for N800/N810.

I'll post screenshots as soon as I can.
Thanks for the shots.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Bummer, I will not be holding my breath waiting for QT 4.6 and the qt mobility framework for N800/N810.
I hear ya - but there's still DC for n810.
Can't compete there.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I'm a bit new to userland programming - most of my work has been drivers or bootloaders and my experience with user code have generally been harrowing - with the exception of QT.
Sounds like you are deeper into that stuff than I. I work on shared kernel code and (almost) all the user space support code.

Qt has been driving me nuts so far compared to GTK but oh well (but at least its not MFC or the other stuff I have to deal with at work).

Good luck with things and I've love some DC contributions .

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
I would like to offer the option on my application to place calls using your dialer. Did you create or plan to any dbus interfaces that would allow me to start the dialer passing a phone number to place a call?

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I would like to offer the option on my application to place calls using your dialer. Did you create or plan to any dbus interfaces that would allow me to start the dialer passing a phone number to place a call?
I haven't planned for a dbus interface, though I have a slightly related plan to provide a contact manager backend for the qt-mobility contacts api.

Your idea is interesting in the sense that just providing a dbus api will be a good stop-gap solution.
However, the "future" for all plugins like this will almost certainly be either telepathy or qtmobility based (or both).
That doesn't mean dBus will be ignored - telepathy depends on dbus. dbus is too "low level" an API.

I'll keep it in mind when I start coalescing some classes into a plugin form.

Unable to install, incompatible application type... on my N900 with PR1.2. What next?

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Unable to install, incompatible application type... on my N900 with PR1.2. What next?
Ok.. I was able to reproduce this by double clicking the deb from the file manager. The application loader complains about incompatible application type.
I don't know why this happens - I'm still learning debianization.

There is a workaround: I have always installed on my n900 from xterm:
sudo gainroot ; dpkg -i qgvdial<whatever>.deb

I'll look into why the app loader barfs on my deb.