Notices

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
lame question here i installed tor now how i use it ?

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
lame question here i installed tor now how i use it ?
Hi,

this is how I use it:
- run from terminal:
1. sudo tor&; or
2. sudo gainroot, then tor&; or
3. root, then tor&.

The "&" is required to launch tor daemon so you can close terminal; it will run in the background. If you type just "tor", you have to keep open that terminal window. Of course you can create a desktop icon, etc. If you run tor& then you have to type sudo killall tor if you do not want to browse the web through the tor network.

That is all... You can check whether tor created a connection or not: type netstat -t; you should see a bunch of connections, including some that has "tor" in its name (not always, but most of the time).

Tor use socks port 9050 by default, so you have to configure your browser to use this port. Since microb is not configurable for me, I use chromium under maemo and links2 from easy ubuntu the way I wrote my previous comment.

You can check whether your browser is configured to use tor: go to check.torproject.org.

EDIT: OK, I was quite wrong here, because the "&" isn't really for daemonizing, you can close terminal window and tor will run even if you type just "sudo tor".
For real daemonization you should edit /etc/tor/torrc file: enable/edit the RunAsDaemon row: set the number to 1.

Cheers,

jm

Last edited by justmemory; 2015-02-12 at 11:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi All!

Since the status area applet doesn't work for me, I thought I write my own and share it.

I pasted the files:
- tor_is_running -> please rename that to ".tor_is_running" (sorry, but my windows machine that I use in the office cannot handle the dot) and place it to /home/user. I know that this is not elegant, but somehow I wanted to monitor whether tor is running or not.

- tor.py -> place it to /usr/lib/hildon-desktop

- tor.desktop -> place it to /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu

- tor.png -> place it to /usr/share/icons/your_current_icon_theme/24x24/hildon

That is all. Maybe you should reastart your device or refresh icon theme so hildon-status-menu can use the icon.

The button in the status menu is not that elegant, but it is working and just enough for me. And hey, you can always rewrite the python script.

If you enable tor it opens in a new terminal window to see if it can connect or not (if there is a problem). You can close that terminal window if you want, tor will run in the background. The button will say: "Disable TOR", and the green onion icon should appear in the status area. If you disable tor, it will kill tor and remove the status area icon.

If you do not want that terminal window, you should edit /etc/tor/torrc file: Set the "RunAsDaemon" row to 1.

That is all.

Cheers,

jm
Attached Files
File Type: zip tor_applet.zip (2.0 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by justmemory; 2015-02-12 at 11:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Just for the record:
on stock PR1.3 fully on extras-devel, tor and its applet is working fine (at least for me ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Just for the record:
on stock PR1.3 fully on extras-devel, tor and its applet is working fine (at least for me ).
As well as on CSSU-Thumb for me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Word of caution though for those who have enabled CSSU-Devel repo and updated packages recently. I did, and I can't access maemo.org. Returns a 403 Forbidden Error on MicroB. I also can't Google search directly from the address bar. (gah! I don't remember the error output and uninstalled tor too). Other browsers like qml-browser and opera work fine though.

I did apt-cache depends tor today and it seems there is a conflict with libssl0.9.8.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
did you update open ssl ?

Yes, I received some updates after enabling CSSU-Devel. And it was one of them too as the changelog suggests.

http://maemo.merlin1991.at/cssu/comm...el/changes.log

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by princefakhan View Post
Word of caution though for those who have enabled CSSU-Devel repo and updated packages recently. I did, and I can't access maemo.org.
All maemo.org services block known exit nodes.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
All maemo.org services block known exit nodes.
hmmm. So it does not have anything to do with libssl. Though I recall using the site with tor enabled.

Tags
"tor story"