Notices

My Pidgin is version 2.5.1-Onix2

While searching for a longer term solution I came across this:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/...2.5.8-1ubuntu1
Can this be installed on maemo? Because if it can version 2.5.8 should work fine with the new Yahoo protocol. Can anyone try this out?
I'd try it but I can't do it now for technical reasons...

You CANNOT use ubuntu/debian binaries or from any other distro. It has to be compiled specifically for the nokia tablets. They use completely different processors. It would be like wanting to read a russian translation of a book, when you can only read english.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hellmark: actually, there are binaries for our processor from Ubuntu and Debian. They need to be either run in a chroot (ie Easy Debian) or hacked to install into Maemo because the dependencies are different, but the binaries should run on the tablets... Just look for the "armel" packages.

EDIT: And it looks like grigo actually knows that, he's linked to an armel package for Ubuntu karmic...

now that opens a question for "total noobs" like me. will we have in the maemo repositories the new pidgin version? it looks a little "abandoned"

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
if somebody volunteers to package a new version of pidgin...

There is a new version in the repository, but i don't think it was done right. yahoo still won't work.

Tags
pidgin, yahoo.