Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Ari also said during his keynote at OSiM World that Nokia had no interest in licencing/working on getting Maemo onto non-Nokia devices. It's not yet-another-"standards"-body to prevent fragmentation: it's Nokia's mobile Linux stack.

As Quim says, that's not to say that hacking on a Maemo firmware release to get some bits running on the Pandora won't be quietly ignored. But I can't imagine, say, Adobe being quite so friendly if the Flash player gets extracted out of repository.maemo.org (the password's not hard to figure out) and run on another mobile device without them receiving any money.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
... Honestly, though, Stskeeps is right. You're better off just using Ubuntu or Debian (though neither of them are optimized for armv7) ...
Or better the Mojo folks have Ubuntu packages optimized for different ARM processors.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by solca View Post
Or better the Mojo folks have Ubuntu packages optimized for different ARM processors.
Which does not (yet) include armv7. . . .

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Which does not (yet) include armv7. . . .
But a improvement to the ARMv4 from Debian.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Ari also said during his keynote at OSiM World that Nokia had no interest in licencing/working on getting Maemo onto non-Nokia devices. It's not yet-another-"standards"-body to prevent fragmentation: it's Nokia's mobile Linux stack.

As Quim says, that's not to say that hacking on a Maemo firmware release to get some bits running on the Pandora won't be quietly ignored. But I can't imagine, say, Adobe being quite so friendly if the Flash player gets extracted out of repository.maemo.org (the password's not hard to figure out) and run on another mobile device without them receiving any money.
This looks like my answer to my question from another thread: could Maemo 5 be made to run on the Motorola Droid? I take it the answer is "no". Could any other Debian-based OS (Mer, etc.) provide good functionality (including phone functionality) on the Droid?

I had become convinced that the arguments over which OS is more open, Android or Maemo, had been decided in favor of Maemo. But I must say that there are stronger points than I had imaged in favor of Android, and this seems to be one example of such. Android runs on a lot of different devices by a lot of different manufacturers.

But still, for some unknown reason, I tend to just "feel" that Maemo is more open. Maybe because it is more like desktop Linux...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
This looks like my answer to my question from another thread: could Maemo 5 be made to run on the Motorola Droid? I take it the answer is "no".
Depends on what you mean by "could".

Technically? Certainly. In that regard, the answer to "could it" is yes.

Realistically? Why would Nokia license Maemo out to be run on a competing device? Don't bet on it happening any time soon. In that regard, the answer to "could it" is no.

Mer? Sure. But Mer doesn't have phone functionality, last I checked. And the same for other Linux variants (Debian or not).

Tags
maemo, pandora, sdk