Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
And you have 38 MB free on rootfs? I don't see any problem here.
I don't understand why you're not see any problems here.
Are you saying in other for me to install many more upcoming release apps, I would need to uninstall the existing ones to get rootfs space for the new ones? That's just rubbish how that work, why would you have to remove existing apps to create space for new apps. I don't see any other devices have this ridiculous issue.

These apps are very little considering many more apps to come that I will install along side.

I don't have pymaemo installed yet.

I am considering getting rid of the N900 if there are no workarounds to install the apps elsewhere and stop it from constantly using up rootfs for each installations eventually leading to fail updates and limit the number of apps that you can have installed on the N900.

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-12-07 at 05:35.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
I don't understand why you're not see any problems here.
Are you saying in other for me to install many more upcoming release apps, I would need to uninstall the existing ones to get rootfs space for the new ones? That's just rubbish how that work, why would you have to remove existing apps to create space for new apps. I don't see any other devices have this ridiculous issue.

These apps are very little considering many more apps to come that I will install along side.

I don't have pymaemo installed yet.

I am considering getting rid of the N900 if there are no workarounds to install the apps elsewhere and stop it from constantly using up rootfs for each installations eventually leading to fail updates and limit the number of apps that you can have installed on the N900.
there is nothing to do. start begging for developers to optify their software, it is the only solution to your software.

proposal: uninstall software and reinstall asap when the software appears @ extras.

and this is just what you get when playing with extras testing & devel. nobody can guarantee that all goes 110% fine when installing stuff from there. I'd say that low disk space @ / is pretty minimal annoyance.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Android and the iPhone both also have this problem (well not as much for the iPhone but it has happened in exteme cases). For Android they have to use a solution similar to ours for the older tablets (basically boot off the memory card if I recall). For the iPhone you just have to take off apps and put them back on later.

It's not as much as you have to uninstall apps, it's more that developers need to start /optifying their apps (to install to the 2 GB partition) instead of the limited root partition. It is possible to expand it though if your comfortable with the terminal and flashing (root or opt). Do a search for partitioning, I'd give his username but I have no idea how to replicate it since it's not in english characters.

Though your going run into a problem either way as developers begin moving to /opt making your large /root partition relatively moot unless you like to test deval software since then everything will be correctly installing to /opt. You could link them though.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-12-07 at 06:00.

Current process for promoting to Extras (where they are optified) takes too long IMO
There should be a requirement that apps must be optified before promoting from devel -> extras-testing

How can we expect to test them if we can't even install them :\

The current workarounds seem to be too technical for those not familiar with terminal or running bash scripts, and those warnings that you may need to reflash isn't comforting.

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-12-07 at 05:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
Current process for promoting to Extras (where they are optified) takes too long IMO
There should be a requirement that apps must be optified before promoting from devel -> extras-testing

How can we expect to test them if we can't even install them :\

The current workarounds seem to be too technical for those not familiar with terminal or running bash scripts, and those warnings that you may need to reflash isn't comforting.
what do you think the situation is in the future?

once optified software mystically will be de-optified in following versions every time it isn't at extras? or the optification process came a bit behind the bush and now you just have to wait for everyone to do the optification and after that you can forget this problem....
Google Custom Search

I propose starting a brainstorm if there isn't one already exists

Testing apps become limited as we can't test/trial that many apps at the same time, this is the bottleneck, the result is as I mentioned, taking to long for apps to promote to Extras

But for now, is it reasonable to spam with comments for apps in Extras-testing with comments such as "I can't test you, my rootfs is full, optify!"

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-12-07 at 06:11.

Testing apps become limited as we can't test/trial that many apps at the same time, this is the bottleneck, the result is as I mentioned, taking to long for apps to promote to Extras

But for now, is it reasonable to spam with comments for apps in Extras-testing with comments such as "I can't test you, my rootfs is full, optify!"
I think there are already people working hard to make it easy to repartition the internal 32GB flash, and install the OS to, and boot from, there. Those that do that will not need to care whether an application is optified.

If the n900 can be booted from the microSD card, then testing can be done without much risk of mucking up a working system.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:

didn't you read what i just wrote?
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
didn't you read what i just wrote?
Of course and I don't agree with "now you just have to wait for everyone to do the optification and after that you can forget this problem"
There are areas that can be changed to improve the overall process.

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-12-07 at 07:17.

Of course and I don't agree with "now you just have to wait for everyone to do the optification and after that you can forget this problem"
There are areas that can be changed to improve the overall process.
yes, but your problem will be forwarded to /dev/null as soon as developers react to optification.

this is a temporary problem caused by last minute change to filesystem. so there is no need to do changes just for it because the issue will vanish pretty soon. aka "all that work for nothing"

sometimes it is only good to wait. and sometimes you just must. when somebody starts to rush, the result will be ****ed up, i promise.

just start emailing the developers. if you would have done that instead this thread, you would have gotten somewhere. if you have further improvements, see ya @ brainstorm and bugzilla.
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post: