Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
I have my PC connected to a wireless router which gives my n900 Internet access. Sometimes I want to send a file from my n900 to my PC so I usually use a USB cable. I want to transfer files from my n900 to my PC wirelessly via my router. How would I do this? I've been searching about on the Internet but can't find an answer. I am getting very stressed over this!

Thanks

NOTE: I see my home network (between PC and Laptop) listed as "Shared Media" in File Manager on my n900 but when I click my PC, it says "no files/folders" (Shared Media/USERNAME-PC: gohan2091:/)

Last edited by gohan2091; 2010-08-14 at 13:17.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
On your windows 7 computer you will need to set up a shared directory. I only have Linux so I don't know how to do this off the top of my head, easy in XP - I guess it's similar, but more frustrating in Win7 : )

On the N900 install wizard mounter and put in the appropriate settings for your Windows 7 shared directory.

Once you click Mount in Wizard Mounter, the shared directory will then be available through the file manager on the N900.

Apologies for the lack of detail, hopefully this will get you pointed in at least one working direction. I believe others have had success with ssh server on the N900 and winscp on Windows.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
The Shared Media option you see is for media sharing using win7's built-in upnp server - It'll let you stream music/video from your pc to your N900 via wifi, but won't let you arbitrarily transfer documents back and forth.
In order to do that, the most straightforward method is to handle the transfers at the computer side, rather than the n900. The most simple method that comes to mind is to install the openssh server to your N900, then use an SCP client (such as WinSCP) to connect to the device wirelessly over your wifi network, and youll have access to a full explorer-style folder structure of your n900, allowing you to transfer content back and forth as needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I have ported a small SMB Server from Anton Zechner
http://members.inode.at/anton.zechner/az/AzSmb.en.htm

I have also written a GUI.

I have two DEB-Files.

tinysmb.deb
tinysmbgui.deb

Install steps:

1. install tinysmb.deb
2. install tinysmbgui.deb
3. Setup your Wlan IP in the Config
4. Add a Share
5. start the Server
6. Access the Share from your PC with \\192.168.178.37\
replace 192.168.178.37 with your Wlan IP of your N900

Here some screenshots:

Last edited by Nano; 2010-10-11 at 18:09.

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Nano For This Useful Post:
Very cool!Good job!

Thanks a lot, works great. I never got wizard-mounter working to connect to my Win7 x46...

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
winscp works great too

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Could you please elaborate on the install?

Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Install steps:

1. install tinysmb.deb
2. install tinysmbgui.deb
3. Setup your Wlan IP in the Config
Typing the commands 1. & 2. as is gave an error and I needed to add a dest folder (I choose /usr/bin) But found that the .deb extension was added there, I think that is wrong...
And what is the config file name to mod?

Thanks much!

Originally Posted by gadgetChris View Post
Could you please elaborate on the install?

Typing the commands 1. & 2. as is gave an error and I needed to add a dest folder (I choose /usr/bin) But found that the .deb extension was added there, I think that is wrong...
And what is the config file name to mod?

Thanks much!
Save the 2 files on your n900.
Open the tinysmb.deb with the Filemanager and after that the tinysmbgui.

Or open the two links with the Maemo-Browser.

After installing you have a new Icon in the Application Menu.

Now open this Application and push the Config Button and enter the IP-Address and Subnetmask from your N900 and save the Settings.

You add Shares with the Shares-Button

Now you can start the Server.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
OK found the commands:

Code:
1. dpkg -i tinysmb.deb
2. dpkg -i tinysmbgui.deb
3 edit files in /etc/tinysmb 
   there are two files...
trying now... :-)