Active Topics

https://github.com/mfrasca/N9-rpn

I was missing a RPN Calculator, so I made one myself.
it's not even close to an HP-45, but it does something.

manual installation, or help accepted for packaging it.

download it wherever you want, then symlink the directory to /opt/rpncalc, something like:

ln -s /home/user/rpncalc /opt

put the n9-app.desktop file in /home/user/.local/share/applications/n9-rpn.desktop

it still misses an icon, it should not flip, it could implement y^x, exp, π, they are already there, I just did not put the buttons on the screen.

publish often, publish early.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mfrasca For This Useful Post:
Very slick. Have you seen symbian's new (as of Jan 2018) calc_mem_pr?
I love what you have with exponentials, all I'd like to see is a quick interest operation like #3 from above link #perfect

Last edited by AdaBwana; 2018-03-13 at 01:50. Reason: not reddit like hyperlinking format of [text](url)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdaBwana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AdaBwana View Post
Very slick. Have you seen symbian's new (as of Jan 2018) calc_mem_pr?
I love what you have with exponentials, all I'd like to see is a quick interest operation like #3 from above link #perfect
my reference point are HP calculators, and a never dying dream is to port nonpareil to whatever platform I have in my pocket. but 'nonpareil' is written in C, and I'm not yet sure how to compile C sources on N9. The calculator you want, that's probably the 12c, a machine still in commerce, some 35 years after its introduction. if I have the C core compiled, attaching a user interface to it is not the hardest task.

but I already wanted to add the 'f' and 'g' buttons, and then we have space for %, %T, and Δ%.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfrasca For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mfrasca View Post
my reference point are HP calculators, and a never dying dream is to port nonpareil to whatever platform I have in my pocket. but 'nonpareil' is written in C, and I'm not yet sure how to compile C sources on N9. The calculator you want, that's probably the 12c, a machine still in commerce, some 35 years after its introduction. if I have the C core compiled, attaching a user interface to it is not the hardest task.
Provided it's a standardish tarball, "./configure; make; devel-su make install" is often enough

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Nice small calculator. This reminds me that I compiled a HP15c for the N900 could also try to compile it for the N9.
However a port of nonpareil is much better so please go ahead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Provided it's a standardish tarball, "./configure; make; devel-su make install" is often enough
you're referring to nonpareil... nope, have a look at it, build is `scons` based, don't ask me, this is the only project where I've met it.

Last edited by mfrasca; 2018-03-14 at 02:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to mfrasca For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mfrasca View Post
you're referring to nonpareil... nope, have a look at it, build is `scons` based, don't ask me, this is the only project where I've met it.
Yes, looks like you need to build scons first.

Basically that's why I said it is "often enough" just to do configure&make... often you also need to install some tools and libraries before you get to build the actual thing itself

Now most of the time it is pretty easy and you only need to build couple of things beforehand, but there have been cases for example when I need to first build a newer gcc and glibc, and that gets pretty hazy soon, of course you need to install those under home so not to mess up the system completely...

in the meanwhile I've been giving better structure (in my opinion) to the tinly minimal rpn calc I just published on github.
looks and feels quite usable, not the best graphics, but still, if you're used to RPN, much better than the built in one.
I will have a look at porting nonpareil, some time.

added a bit of statistics, linear regression, persistent stack.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mfrasca For This Useful Post:
rpncalc-1.0.deb

works as far as I tested, so please report anything unexpected.