Active Topics

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is a nice proverb where I come from. It does not translate well into English but it roughly goes like this. Whose bread you eat, those song you sing. Meaning, the one giving you the money dictates the terms.
There is a very closely equivalent English idiom: "He who pays the piper calls the tune"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
mee want swipey swipey

is that really such a hard requirement in a mobile UI.
A jailbroken iPhone has a number of tweaks to make it have a swipe UI not too dissimilar from the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
A jailbroken iPhone has a number of tweaks to make it have a swipe UI not too dissimilar from the N9.
but that generally means am locked into apple monopoly, which is quite a **** monopoly with accessories costing a fortune and any attempt to tamper with it will **** it up beyond repair.

So maybe I was lying when I just said swipey swipey lol

So far the Nexus range fulfills all my hardware needs, and Sailfish pretty much fulfills all my software needs, mostly.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
mee want swipey swipey

is that really such a hard requirement in a mobile UI.
Well swipey UI's nice but it is hardly the real reason Harmattan or SFOS is so good. Beauty is just skin deep, hmm?

Otherwice why not just go WP, it also has a kind of swipe interface.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Yes, I omitted it deliberately because things did not turn out as rosy as you and they paint. Copernicus has already addressed the important stuff, all I can do is add some random rant.

What do you think will happen when someone receives some money he did not deserve? You do not need to think hard to answer that: he will squander it. We see that all the time with lottery winners or with spoilt children with 145 toys who receive a 146th. Something that does not cost you anything to get is not worth anything, simple as that.

What happened in the UK? The banks received a hefty bailout from the taxpayer's money. Money the government did not have in the first place, thus plunging the country into an even deeper deficit than before. Did it teach the bank any humility? Did they use the money wisely? No, the first thing they did was to use it for huge bonuses for the top managers. Yes, the very people who got us into the mess in the first place were, instead of being punished, rewarded with my money. And it did not stop there. The banks, instead of humbly bowing to the public and thanking them for the bailout, only grew in arrogance and showed the public the middle finger.

In other words, the bailout was a complete misfire.

I do not believe that bailing out Jolla would achieve anything different. Their top management has already a proven history of arrogant behaviour, ignoring the public and its own community, not to mention wasting money including spending money that was meant for X on Y (just ask Dave999 and his favourite tablet).

If a company lives and prospers, it's because it deserves to live and prosper. If it dies, it's because it deserves to die. A bailout does not change that.
Hi Pichlo.

If the UK gave the banking industry a bail out with essentially no strings attached then shame on them!

But, I think you have some misconceptions about the US bail out of the auto industry. You make it sound like they gave the industry money with practically no strings attached. You actually might have liked some of the things that it did. Essentially taking temporary control of the US auto industry and being quite proactive in making changes..

"The federal government took over GM and Chrysler in March 2009. It fired GM CEO Rick Wagoner..." among other things"

Here is a reference

http://useconomy.about.com/od/critic...to_bailout.htm

Initially there were about $80 billion in loans and the US government recouped all but $9 billion when it sold it's shares back. So basically it lost about 11% of the loan. But all things considered, given the disruption to the economy and peoples lives that could have taken place, this was a good thing. Plus the remaining loss has probably more than been made up with the improved economy over time.

Wall Street bail out... well again, they were not given a free ride either, but maybe I shouldn't have included that example for comparison. After all that is more of a Ponzi scheme anyways so heck with them!

Interesting that you would be willing to loan Jolla several million if you had the money. Hopefully they heed the advice you give and think twice about borrowing money from you.

"There is a nice proverb where I come from. It does not translate well into English but it roughly goes like this. Whose bread you eat, those song you sing. Meaning, the one giving you the money dictates the terms"

lol. Just kidding!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
On one side, you say you need millions to do it, on the other side you want a bunch of TMOers to do it by themselves on their free time.
Hmm. On the one side, you say you want a full-featured, consistent UI that is immediately usable as a daily driver. On the other side, you say you don't want to pay for it (either with money or with effort). This seems illogical to me. Asking Jolla, who did put in the money and the effort, to hand over their results for free seems utterly selfish.

Every big OSS project that succeed was backed by a company (Red Hat, SUN, Trolltech/Nokia/Digia, ...).
Er, hello, Linux? You know, the OS that was developed by a guy in his free time, and gained success pretty much all by itself?

Of course, it started out as a very minimalist OS. It only slowly grew into a full-featured, consistent operating system over years of effort.

If that backing company is not Sailfish, you have to find another one.
And yes, I'm sure lots of companies will come flocking to give away their millions of dollars and years of man-effort.

Or maybe the missing part is less work than I think and 10 people can do it in their free time?
The "missing part"? Just how much do you think is missing? Everybody here seems to want an enormous, full-featured UI such as iOS and Android have. Yes, UIs like theirs have been built on the backs of thousands of programmers and billions of invested dollars. Yes, you probably aren't going to get that in the Open Source world. Is that such a bad thing?

And about the consistency : it is hugely needed as it is directly correlated to usability.
Honestly, if folks here know exactly what they want in a UI, and they understand how such a UI is built, and they have any sort of programming skills at all, why are they not building their own UI? If you're just planning to sit and wait for someone else to do it for you, I just don't understand why you're not willing to pay Apple or Google for their efforts...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Every big OSS project that succeed was backed by a company (Red Hat, SUN, Trolltech/Nokia/Digia, ...).
Er, hello, Linux?
Yes, Linux is a perfect example. As you correctly say, it started spreading pretty much all by itself amongst the handful of enthusiasts but had not gained any noticeable user base until some major distributrions got under the wings of large companies. So Linux itself very much confirms Zeta's argument

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well swipey UI's nice but it is hardly the real reason Harmattan or SFOS is so good. Beauty is just skin deep, hmm?

Otherwice why not just go WP, it also has a kind of swipe interface.
That plus multitasking, the main reason am still on this ride is because once I used a sexy little thing called the N900 and it felt like a pc in my hand. It happy multitasked, and did everything a full sized pc did. And then I got the N9, it wasn't quite the same without the keyboard but it was still an awesome device, although that joy was instantly shot down by Elop, an even when Jolla turned up to the party, it was clearly young, a bit unsure, and pretty drunk by the looks of it that it had forgotten a lot of history. but by now it runs with quite a lot of must haves in an mobile OS, but it doesn't feel like the PC that the N900 did.

I don't know why it doesn't, maybe the lack of keyboard? Maybe the lack of a desktopesque UI. But I've realised if I have to use a mobile OS, that the swipe UI seems the way forward. Whoever those contractors are that came up with it, they were geniuses.

Beauty is skin deep, the middleware thats available, for free, for anyone to create whatever they want on it is pretty awesome and deserves support. I still don't understand why no ones taken it and built Hildon on top, or a clone of Hildon.

I remember the Cordia project, it was clean and smooth and pretty awesome. Hildon on top of Mer, what Nokia refused to give us. But that was abandoned.

I remember a video that w00t posted of a hildonesqe UI built on the Jolla, thats what am hoping for.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Yes, Linux is a perfect example. As you correctly say, it started spreading pretty much all by itself amongst the handful of enthusiasts but had not gained any noticeable user base until some major distributrions got under the wings of large companies. So Linux itself very much confirms Zeta's argument
Yes! Zeta is exactly right, unless you are an "enthusiast" you should never use any software unless it has been backed by a major corporation.

Please, everyone, immediately remove any apps from your devices unless a major company backs them. (Sadly, this will mean removing all my pasta-flavored apps as well...) They simply can't be usable, nor popular, until the private sector picks them up...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yes! Zeta is exactly right, unless you are an "enthusiast" you should never use any software unless it has been backed by a major corporation.

Please, everyone, immediately remove any apps from your devices unless a major company backs them. (Sadly, this will mean removing all my pasta-flavored apps as well...) They simply can't be usable, nor popular, until the private sector picks them up...
You forgot to mention about FreeType that is used on iPhones and Android while noone paid the developer. Is it called "backed up" by corporate or "f#$$% up" by corporate?

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post: