Notices

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Hello folks,

I just made available the very first version of DrLaunch. A launcher widget with portrait mode support.

It is a very early release and it has a lot of bugs (I have found some myself already) which I'm going to fix in the next versions. However, the widget seems quite usable and you may already need something like this, so here it is.

Assuming that you know what you're doing, you can get it if from extras-devel or from here. The widget is listed as "DrLaunch" for now.

The widget is optified and should not cause batter drain (famous last words?).

Known bugs:
  • If you resize the grid you need to restart hildon-home or remove and re-add the widget (icons will remain).
  • If you open the settings a couple of times, weird things will happen. If you experience problems restart hildon-home or remove and re-add the widget.
  • After you add icons, the grid will not always refresh. You need to press on each icon for a while to be refreshed.

Hildon-home can be restarted by running "killall hildon-home" in command-prompt as user. DON'T run this too often (e.g not more than once per second).

The widget does not start programs at first touch. Instead you need to press an icon until it glows (for 250 milliseconds). This is done on-purpose to avoid launching programs by mistake. I can make this configurable but I'd like to listen to your comments on this first.

My favorite apps are the phone and the browser because they can start in portrait mode. Some third party apps (like ATI85 calculator and Brain Party) are also good candidates.

Please report other bugs in this thread. Also, I'd greatly appreciate a review on the widget part of the code. It is written in python.

Oh.. and here are two screenshots for proof of concept
Attached Images

The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
Thank you, well coded, any idea on how much battery life this will suck from using accelerometer. how often is it checking orientation?

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

looks really good. since I have no experience and you do, can I ask you a question?

how difficult is it to rotate current widgets or the complete desktop for portrait mode. since you can have more than 4 desktops I was thinking about the possibility of 4 more customizable desktops completely separate for portrait mode. So that I don't have to worry about how my current widgets scale or translate to portrait mode if they are completely new desktops. Not a very clear explaination but I hope you see what I'm getting at. is this doable?

Is there a reason to make this a widget versus a seperate app? With a seperate app you could have it in portrait and landscape mode.

You could even add a type to search thru apps. . A much requested feature on these forums.

Edit: This isn't a criticism just to clarify. Just an idea of how to take a great idea and turn it into an app + a widget.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-06-26 at 03:32.

Would it be possible to rotae the icons only? I have all my short cuts in one row on the upper side of the screen. Lower there are other widgets so when the switch to portrait mod they hide other widgets. I would gladly have four short cuts which just rotate the picture. Now I have only the phone short cut. One short cut rotates the way I would like it. I like the idea of longer pressing! Great job and thanks for the effort.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Zealand
I cant find this in Extra dev?

Originally Posted by Tiboric View Post
Thank you, well coded, any idea on how much battery life this will suck from using accelerometer. how often is it checking orientation?

Thanks again and keep up the good work.
It uses this which uses dbus and only receives a signal whenever rotation changes.

Battery usage should be very low (I'm currently using it without problems) but it can be improved. I.e. it currently monitors rotation and rotates even when the widget is not visible which is not required.

Uncertainty about nattery drain is a reason why it is still in extras-devel. i.e. it needs testing (and I'm currently testing it 24/24).

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
looks really good. since I have no experience and you do, can I ask you a question?

how difficult is it to rotate current widgets or the complete desktop for portrait mode. since you can have more than 4 desktops I was thinking about the possibility of 4 more customizable desktops completely separate for portrait mode. So that I don't have to worry about how my current widgets scale or translate to portrait mode if they are completely new desktops. Not a very clear explaination but I hope you see what I'm getting at. is this doable?
I'd say impossible unless you hack hildon-desktop. DrLaunch is just a widget that performs rotation of itself only.

The Following User Says Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Is there a reason to make this a widget versus a seperate app? With a seperate app you could have it in portrait and landscape mode.

You could even add a type to search thru apps. . A much requested feature on these forums.

Edit: This isn't a criticism just to clarify. Just an idea of how to take a great idea and turn it into an app + a widget.
I don't quite understand 100% what you're proposing. You mean that it would be better to be an application that opens a window with portrait/landscape mode which would act as a folder? (yes... folders are in my long-term todo list :-)

Also, how would you search apps while in portrait mode? There is no portrait-mode keyboard.

Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Would it be possible to rotae the icons only? I have all my short cuts in one row on the upper side of the screen. Lower there are other widgets so when the switch to portrait mod they hide other widgets. I would gladly have four short cuts which just rotate the picture. Now I have only the phone short cut. One short cut rotates the way I would like it. I like the idea of longer pressing! Great job and thanks for the effort.
I'm planning to add an option for that. However, what you want may be accomplished by using a size of 1x1 or 2x2. This will take less space.

Remember that in order for size change to take affect you need to restart hildon-home.