Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
Thanks, I will try with Firefox later.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Albuquerque NM USA
Hi Fanoush,

Thanks for your hard work in getting weird bluetooth keyboards to work! You're a life saver.

Mine is not working, though, so I hope you can help. I have a SnapNType which is supported in the btkbd.conf and an N800 running Diablo. I have a few problems.

1. The script complains when it checks for /etc/osso_software_version because I don't have such a directory. I don't know why I don't have one.

2. Adding the ["$OSVER" = "DIABLO"] && OSVER=2008SE line doesn't help. I modified the script to echo $OSVER after that line and it returns blank. The script exits without error, but bluetooth does not come on and detect the keyboard.

3. If I set $OSVER to 2008SE manually, the script continues. It activates bluetooth radio, shows that the device is paired, but then errors:
cat: can't open 'input3/name': No such file or directory
I have checked and I do have input3/name in my /sys/class/input directory with permissions -r--r--r-- root:root. (Why is cat reporting that it can't find that directory, I wonder?)

In no case does typing on the keyboard show characters on the screen.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
Cameron Goble

Originally Posted by camerongoble View Post
1. The script complains when it checks for /etc/osso_software_version because I don't have such a directory. I don't know why I don't have one.
Looks like you may have uninstalled osso-software-version-rx34, probably due to a conflict with some dependency;this will also cause problems with SSU. Solution: apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked (which has looser dependencies).

2. Adding the ["$OSVER" = "DIABLO"] && OSVER=2008SE line doesn't help. I modified the script to echo $OSVER after that line and it returns blank. The script exits without error, but bluetooth does not come on and detect the keyboard.
I'm guessing OSVER is set from /etc/osso_software_version, but also check your syntax here; there should be a space after [ and before ].

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Looks like you may have uninstalled osso-software-version-rx34, probably due to a conflict with some dependency;this will also cause problems with SSU. Solution: apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked (which has looser dependencies).
Thanks, Benson. I installed osso...unlocked, which involved upgrading about 18M of other files. No damage done, so I'm happy with that.

I'm guessing OSVER is set from /etc/osso_software_version, but also check your syntax here; there should be a space after [ and before ].
I removed the script that I'd tinkered with and reinstalled a fresh version. After setting the .conf up, I ran the script. This time I did get noticed that the keyboard was detected.

However, I still get nothing when I type on the keyboard. I think *some* keypresses are sent to the N800, but they may not be mapped correctly. I never see letters in a text box, but I did discover that when I closed the keyboard up, I saw buttons in applications selecting themselves, spaces appearing at weird intervals, and so on -- almost as if somebody had mashed their hands on all the keys at once and lots of random junk was coming through. Never letters, though. Just spaces. Hitting the space bar myself does not produce a space in a text box.

Closing up the keyboard now, I cannot replicate the problem. It may have been a fluke elsewhere.

Last edited by camerongoble; 2009-01-25 at 19:07. Reason: Typo, additional information

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by camerongoble View Post
I have a SnapNType which is supported in the btkbd.conf
Which keyboard driver name (KBTYPE) you configured? It should be snapntypebt

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Thanks Fanoush! The driver name was the problem - I had a typo. OOPS! The keyboard works now. Thank you all!